homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Drug of Choice? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Drug of Choice?
chick2geek
Geek Larva
Member # 3052

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 03, 2004 22:08      Profile for chick2geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, so "csk" asked me what happened to good ol' coffee... since I mentioned some of my "geek drugs" of choice. I.E. Penguin Mints, Bawls, RootbeerX, Foosh mints etc...

So my question is: What is your drug of choice as a geek? Do you go for coffee, maybe get a little fancy with the "frapachino-mocka-chino-latte-espresso"... or do you go for the effect of "wall climbing" caffeine... and guarana? Do tell

Besides, I get a kick out of asking a guy if, "Do you want me to give you blue Bawls?"
[evil]

--------------------
“The battle of the sexes will NEVER be won… there is too much fraternizing with the enemy”

Posts: 28 | From: ID | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 22:30      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it's coffee. Cappucino's made at work or at home, either are good (I'm reasonably serious about my coffee). I don't drink a huge quantity (2 - 3 cups a day, max), but I make up for it in quality.

Next choice is caffeinated soft drinks. Pepsi Max is not bad, Vanilla Coke is better. I quite enjoyed Jolt when it was easier to find around here, but I haven't seen it for ages now.

And no cases of Blue Bawls over here (thinkgeek won't ship them overseas either).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 22:31      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coffee, espresso, Iced Coffee, Penguin Mints, Coke (orig. or C2), Mtn. Dew (diet lately, eww) and Iced Tea. So um caffeine is my choice [Eek!]

I find stuff like Red Bull to be too sicking sweet.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 22:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coffee in the AM, Beer in the PM....and on special ocassions single malt scotch

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 00:38      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Coffee in the AM, Beer in the PM....and on special ocassions single malt scotch

Similar to the Cap'n's. Coffee until 1900ish, then wine or beer with and after a meal if I can' be bothered to work that night - and sometimes a nice whisk(e)y or two to finish [Smile]
Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 02:25      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adrenalchrome

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 04, 2004 02:55      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was "adrenochrome" Spungo?

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 03:22      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That as well [Wink]

--------------------

Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 04, 2004 03:32      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well my current drug of choice is one I found when I was in Paris over the weekend, canabis flavoured chocolates. [evil]

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 03:35      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alephcat:
well my current drug of choice is one I found when I was in Paris over the weekend, canabis flavoured chocolates. [evil]

Hey, man - just say no! Drugs are not big, and not clever! (Have they got any good stuff in them? If so, feel free to post us some! [Wink] )

--------------------

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 03:40      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strepsils and whisky at the moment. (Well not right now, but I'll get the whisky later)
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 03:45      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well they do not seem to have any effect (I suspect that it may just be "flavouring" and not any real stuff) but I think I may have some left if you really want some.

--------------------

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 03:47      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love espresso. not to the extent of one of my friends who is a coffee/bawls fiend. whenever im on the campus of the local university for something i love to pop by the starbucks and get an espresso brownie its the perfect companion to lots of coffee. i cant stand red bull's taste but bawls isnt half bad.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 04:30      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see,

1 pot (12 cups) of coffee between 4-6 a.m.

1/3 pot ( 4 cups) when I get to work.

20 oz. or larger Mountain Dew at lunch.

Water after that.

And also add the stimulant that is nicotene.

What, me nervous? Nooo...

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 04:39      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, liquid wise it has to be the local supermarket chain's Ice Tea Light or Coke Light Lemon (that would be Lemon Diet Coke).
Switzerland is now the largest drinkers of Ice Tea in the world, with 27 litres per year per head.
Ahh I normally average 2 litres a day, so that comes to 730 litres a year, so I am drinking for 27 other Swiss, weeee. [crazy]

NB: I hated Coke in the US and found myself drinking Pepsi, while in Switzerland never touch Pepsi. The taste DOES change when you cross the Pond.

Then again I am partial to the local produce of the Islay region as well [Wink] [Roll Eyes]

Foodwise, well, I know what to avoid, because if I did not there would be trouble.
I.e. Chocolate and cheese fondues, and do not even think about chocolate fondues.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 05:29      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave up pop (Soda) on the advise of my doctor. So I switched to coffee. I'm up to about 7 cups a day. (10oz as oposed to the 8oz) [crazy]

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 07:19      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chai is my drink of choice.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 07:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chick2geek:
“The battle of the sexes will NEVER be won… there is too much fraternizing with the enemy”

Ha. reminds me of a time when I was in army cadet camp. (Yes, I was an army cadet many years ago. ha. ha.)

Anyway. There was a frat rule. You couldn't be within 6" of a member of the opposite sex unless you were in rank.

A guy and his girlfriend were both at the camp, making out under a tree. A sargeant saw them, pointed at them, and screamed, "SIX INCHES!". The guy looked up at him with a menacing smirk and said, "is that in, or out?"

needless to say, he did a lot of PT and no sleeping that evening.

Anyway. Back to the original thread.

I get my caffeine via vanilla coke. That's it. My only drug.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 08:35      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the smell of coffee - but can't drink it. Give me a nice mug of Earl Grey, or English Breakfast every morning and the world is A-ok. I supplement with a couple of cans of diet Pepsi (yes the diet part sucks, but it helps the waistline and I still get my caffeine.)

After that - I'm with some of the others - a bowl of popcorn in the evening with a glass of wine or a beer, unless I'm still puttering in the shop. Power tools and wine don't mix.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 08:44      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
Power tools and wine don't mix.

Yeah, Falls City or Pabt's Blue Ribbon go so much better with band saws.
[Wink]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
chick2geek
Geek Larva
Member # 3052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 10:36      Profile for chick2geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Chai is my drink of choice.

Ooooooh, that one is good too. Not for my late night coding needs... but for enjoyment. I love it on ice in the summer, and I love a steamed Chai in the winter. Mmmmmmmmmm... steamed

--------------------

chick2geek
Geek Larva
Member # 3052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 10:39      Profile for chick2geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyway. There was a frat rule. You couldn't be within 6" of a member of the opposite sex unless you were in rank.

Ha! Before you even finished my mind wandered there. I give the cadet's smart mouth... two thumbs up and a twist.

--------------------

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 10:42      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh moving on to evening drinks, My posin is Gin and Tonic. I preffer the bombay (Not the Saphire)but if I'm at a bar I'll just take whats on the rail $4.50 for a drink is a little tomuch for me when I can get it for $2.25 not quite as good but still does the trick.

Did I mention I had a certificate in bartending. It's really fun I work a party here and there but never at an actuall bar.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 11:28      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Yeah, Falls City or Pabt's Blue Ribbon go so much better with band saws.
[Wink]

My piss has a higher alcohol content than either of those [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 11:30      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
Switzerland is now the largest drinkers of Ice Tea in the world, with 27 litres per year per head.

Are you saying guys drink twice as much as the gals? [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture