homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Masters and Slaves

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Masters and Slaves
Mackey
Newbie Larva
Member # 2882

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted August 11, 2004 21:39      Profile for Mackey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I got your attention [Big Grin]

I have a problem with an old iMac 233. The old cd drive died (rest in peace). So what I have done is use the only IDE/ATA bus that on the computer, plug in a long cable with 3 connectors. Added a "Y" power adapter, all works fine. So now I have a working CD-RW.

The problem is that I cannot get the CD-RW to mount a bootable CD unless it is the Master. Of course doing so, I then made the internal hard drive the slave. The bootable CD now works but I can't get the hard drive to mount.

I really need to have the CD-RW to mount a bootable CD.

(yes I tried the method of going to the system preferences/startup disc and select the CD; this doesn't work.

Anyone know of a work-around or am I really stuck because the the one bus?

Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 00:03      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I haven't played with Mac hardware much, but I have a few thoughts:
1) Chain order - switch the order of the HD and the CD-RW
2) Can you leave off the jumpers off the HD or the CD and set the other to master. I know that certian hardware is picky like that.
3) Update firmware for the motherboard
4) Just use this as an exsuse to upgrade everything... [Razz]
5) Don't listen to me, and try other peoples advice

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 01:24      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was playing around on google the other day- I wanted to find out if you could upgrade the video card in an emac. Anyway, I googled "mac upgrade" or "emac upgrade", and found a site where someone was changing their CD for a DVD in an imac. There was some oddness about setting the master and slave configurations, but I can't remember what it was. If you google those terms, you might find the right site.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 05:36      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to set everything to cable select. I don't have a real reason except that you haven't yet and a lot of systems are run that way.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2476 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2004 08:29      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some drives that demand to be the master.

I don't know much about Macs, but can you change the boot order in BIOS? I usually assign the Master/Slaves to whatever works and then set up how it boots in the BIOS.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
MrMachineCode
Alpha Geek
Member # 609

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2004 07:51      Profile for MrMachineCode     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you can find an IDE card to stick in your computer, that would give you another IDE line. Such a card would probably not be too expensive, $20 or $30, maybe less.
Posts: 314 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2004 08:52      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrMachineCode:
Maybe you can find an IDE card to stick in your computer, that would give you another IDE line. Such a card would probably not be too expensive, $20 or $30, maybe less.

Not in an iMac, it has no PCI ports.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
LordGilman
Newbie Larva
Member # 2213

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2004 09:49      Profile for LordGilman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, but those first revisions of iMacs dont exactly want to boot off of those drives. They plain out refuse to, so you'll have to take the hard drive out, put it in another machine with an open drive bay, and then fix it up, unless you can get it to boot from an MacOS X server's net boot thingy. or can switch the CD drives.

If you have any more probs or want to know anything about the machine, join the iMac lists at Low End Mac. That's where I learned about your problem and all sorts of other stuff about the machines.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2004 10:37      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:

Must make for really boring sex. [Wink]

.. I'm sorry, I had to say that. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mackey
Newbie Larva
Member # 2882

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2004 14:50      Profile for Mackey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LordGilman:
Sorry, but those first revisions of iMacs dont exactly want to boot off of those drives. They plain out refuse to, so you'll have to take the hard drive out, put it in another machine with an open drive bay, and then fix it up, unless you can get it to boot from an MacOS X server's net boot thingy. or can switch the CD drives.

If you have any more probs or want to know anything about the machine, join the iMac lists at Low End Mac. That's where I learned about your problem and all sorts of other stuff about the machines.

Thanks everyone. Specially LordGilman. This is what I thought would be the case with sharing one bus... though I wonder what would happen if both drives were set to slaves. this is the only combo I haven't tried yet. Oh well its a old machine for the kiddies to play with.
Mackey
Newbie Larva
Member # 2882

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2004 14:51      Profile for Mackey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:

Must make for really boring sex. [Wink]

.. I'm sorry, I had to say that. [Big Grin]

I just wonder how long this thread would go before someone put the word sex with computers... tisk

[Big Grin]

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2004 15:26      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must be new.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture