homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Lame Windows Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lame Windows Question
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 23, 2004 14:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know how to change the default name of a "New Folder" in Windows (XP or 2000)? I ask for completely frivilous reasons, and have already Googled a plenty, but to no avail.

You may ask "has the dragon finally flipped?" - this is a possibility, but the more probable answer is that he wants to make a rather amusing play on recent events at work. Upon seeing the result of someone else's setup of a server, my dept. has become thorougly fed up by the recursion of directories - basically, this guy set up \\foo\bar\foo\foo\foo. However, when we had to install the software, it was \\foo\bar\foo\setup\foo\foo6setup.exe. Ergo, the in joke is to create new folders called 'foo.' I might also explore the possibilities of creating a "New Folder" template (like the "New Text File" choice), or I might even consider the option that some people will suggest - namely to get a life. That one, though, is a bit less likely to be taken.

Cheers,
dragon

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 14:21      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this doesn't directly answer your question but you can "md foo". I actually don't remember the linux version of the command since "mkdir foo" also seems to work.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 14:23      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you might also want to search the registry for "New Folder". That might give you some leads.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 14:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
you might also want to search the registry for "New Folder". That might give you some leads.

Sorry, let me add to this:
My very first step was to search the Registry, followed by Google.

Some of you will realize the restraint I'm exercising at this moment with my comments.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 15:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<Mr T>

Pity da Foo

</Mr T>

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 15:07      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Some of you will realize the restraint I'm exercising at this moment with my comments.

Don't hold it in, man.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
illuminatus
Geek
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 19:34      Profile for illuminatus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TweakXP, TweakUI, X-Setup? Try any of those?

--------------------
-illumina+us
http://illuminatus.oczombies.net/
I suck at life IRL

Posts: 124 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 19:44      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by illuminatus:
TweakXP, TweakUI, X-Setup? Try any of those?

Mmm-hmm.

Should I point out that I'm a sysadmin of a Windows network?

--------------------

Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 08:15      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold the flamethrower Dman - its a "geek" forum but there are a lot of Unix and Mac geeks here and many (most?) have no idea as to your experience/skill level with Windows.

Read Ask Slashdot questions and you'll find that most of those could be answered by Google or with a relatively simple suggestion.

As to your real question - sorry no idea. I try to avoid such esoteric problems in Windows land by installing cygwin and doing everything as shell or perl scripts [Big Grin] Unfortunately that doesn't help you.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 09:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
Hold the flamethrower Dman - its a "geek" forum but there are a lot of Unix and Mac geeks here and many (most?) have no idea as to your experience/skill level with Windows.

Read Ask Slashdot questions and you'll find that most of those could be answered by Google or with a relatively simple suggestion.

As to your real question - sorry no idea. I try to avoid such esoteric problems in Windows land by installing cygwin and doing everything as shell or perl scripts [Big Grin] Unfortunately that doesn't help you.

Yeah, I know Doco - but the latter comment was actually not that bad...how many stupid Windows sysadmins do you know? [Wink]

And yeah, I have cygwin installed on my machine - with perl, and I also have ActiveState Perl on here. At any given moment, I'm probably running more open source software on Windows than proprietary (barring the OS itself).

--------------------

Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 12:40      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't find anything immediately, but there is a lot of tips on registry mods, so check out this site... it may help

http://www.winguides.com/tweak/tweaklist.php

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 19:08      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can't find it in the registry, I would look for the system DLL where the string "New Folder" appears and patch that. Of course, it could fail if the string was just "Folder" and windows added a "New" to it.

On the other hand, this is a potentially extremely dangerous thing to do. If you think it's fine to run a hand patched system, you're probably as crazy as me. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 19:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
If you can't find it in the registry, I would look for the system DLL where the string "New Folder" appears and patch that. Of course, it could fail if the string was just "Folder" and windows added a "New" to it.

On the other hand, this is a potentially extremely dangerous thing to do. If you think it's fine to run a hand patched system, you're probably as crazy as me. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Heh - no kidding - mucking around in DLLs is *asking for trouble.* I routinely get trouble, but I avoid /asking/ for it. Cool idea, though - never thought of that one. Jessycat, my uber-Googling friend, hath searched a bit further on this Interweb thing, and found out how to possibly tweak it in Longhorn...so I'll be ready in a few years [Big Grin] . It's probably deep in the Windows code, though it might be in a string library for i18n stuff...after all, in addition to doing "New Folder," it's capable of adding numbers in parentheses, so ID10Ts can have "New Folder" up to "New Folder (10)" on their desktop...:-/.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, though. Right now I'm declaring this a hopeless cause *shrug.*

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture