homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Geekiest Place in America? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Geekiest Place in America?
Desteny
Newbie Larva
Member # 2791

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted June 16, 2004 12:53      Profile for Desteny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This question randomly poped into my head today. I researched it some...no one has done a study on it or anything. Being a geek that is always on the go, I would like to be able to maybe one day relocate to a place that has a higher consentration of my prefered people of association.

So, I'm asking you guys...in your opinion, what is the Geekiest City in the United States?

--------------------
SPOOOOOOOOON!

The Tick rocks :-p

Posts: 5 | From: Florida | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 13:10      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I divin't naw the answer to yer question, like, but Hello and Welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 13:29      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya! Willkommen.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Desteny
Newbie Larva
Member # 2791

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 13:37      Profile for Desteny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah...Deutsch. Danke Schön.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 14:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Desteny:
This question randomly poped into my head today. I researched it some...no one has done a study on it or anything. Being a geek that is always on the go, I would like to be able to maybe one day relocate to a place that has a higher consentration of my prefered people of association.

So, I'm asking you guys...in your opinion, what is the Geekiest City in the United States?

Cambridge, IMHO.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 14:41      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by Desteny:

Cambridge, IMHO.
Strangely enough, Cambridge in 'old England' is pretty geeky too.
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 15:34      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd imagine that the areas around MIT and Berkley are also really geeky.... Though, I've never been to either. Geekiest place in Wisconsin is Wausa, several Battle Bots were built there for the Comedy Central's old show. Milwaukee had a lot of geeky bookstores and such, but they remain fairly empty most of the time.
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 16:10      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wisconsin, where the state motto is:

Come Cut The Cheese

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 18:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
I'd imagine that the areas around MIT and Berkley are also really geeky.... Though, I've never been to either.

w.r.t. MIT: you mean Cambridge? [Wink]
Been there...awesome place! That place just rocks so hard in terms of geekiness and it's....just....wow. Maybe I'll take a long weekend trip down there in the fall if I'm feeling like a break.

Berkeley - out by San. Fran. - would have been my second listing, if I cared to do a second one. I think I'm going back there again this August (LWE @ SF), and maybe my friend over at UC Berkeley could show me around.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 20:06      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoting the DMan
w.r.t. MIT: you mean Cambridge? [Wink]
[Big Grin] Errrr... no the .. ummm... other M.I.T. [Big Grin]

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
priscilch
Mini Geek
Member # 2727

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 10:30      Profile for priscilch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Pasadena with Caltech?
Hmm... caltech...
Yay, geek guys!

Posts: 53 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Desteny
Newbie Larva
Member # 2791

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 10:49      Profile for Desteny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was guessing around San Fran, but never thought of the Boston area. I was originally from there and when I lived it Seattle, it seemed much more geeky than Boston to me.

Thanks for the second opinions! [Smile]

Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 16:48      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how geeky the area is, but the nortern part of Virginia is headquarters to a lot of tech industry. Overall, aside from the areas around the big geek schools (the aforementioned MIT, Caltech, Berkley and others) geeks probably congregate in areas where they can get paid for doing geeky things.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted June 17, 2004 16:53      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People. Please.

The geekiest city in America is Cupertino. By default. By definition. The Garage is a placarded historic landmark, fer Wozsake.

I suppose it is worthy of discussing what city is the second geekiest. Or third, after Mountain View.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 18:00      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there needs to be a world wide LAN in which the gamers of the world collide. That would very likely be the geekiest place in the world for the time being.
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 18:48      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
there needs to be a world wide LAN in which the gamers of the world collide. That would very likely be the geekiest place in the world for the time being.

It's called the internet =P
[Razz] [Razz]

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 18:52      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About an hour from where I live is Research triangle park, which consists of Chapel Hill, Duke, and NC State all within a 50 mile radius.
But I think Cupertino takes the cake [Smile]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 19:37      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:

It's called the internet =P
[Razz] [Razz]

Ok, well, he means a world wide LAN without AOL...

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 20:22      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
About an hour from where I live is Research triangle park, which consists of Chapel Hill, Duke, and NC State all within a 50 mile radius.
But I think Cupertino takes the cake [Smile]

Oh yes, RTP... very geeky place [Smile]

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 22:15      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While MIT is obviously up there, you forget that Cambridge also has the unfortunate Harvard factor, diluting the geekiness with old money and pretention. I know; I've lived there and experienced the pain first hand. 'Tis a shame really.

So my vote is definitely for anywhere in the Valley.

Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2004 22:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boulder's more granola than geeky, though we've got lots of tech and biotech floating around (people graduate from CU and don't want to leave). We also have NIST. And NOAA. And NCAR.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 18, 2004 06:07      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Belpre, Ohio in my living room, whenever there is a major NASA event like the MER landings. We turn on NASA TV, I put on my NASA Tee shirt, and watch with baited breath as each even ticks off ....... "we have a successful parachute deployment" or "we have a good retrorocket firing!".

The THRILL!!!!

Keep in mind, I am defining SCIENCE as a GEEKY pursuit.

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2004 13:14      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also depends on the flavor of geeky that you're looking for:

if it's computer geek, you can't get much worse than Redmond, WA. Even the unemployed have Wi-Fi enabled laptops, and the average broadband bill is equal too the average apartment rent...

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Desteny
Newbie Larva
Member # 2791

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2004 15:14      Profile for Desteny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Redmond was up there in the list. When my boyfriend asked me what I thought, Redmond was on the list.

--------------------
SPOOOOOOOOON!

The Tick rocks :-p

d3m057h3n35
Mini Geek
Member # 2378

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 09:21      Profile for d3m057h3n35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the midwest, perhaps the area around U of Chicago/IIT? Not as much as Pasadena though: JPL, Caltech, what more do you want?

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture