homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Hard Disks (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Hard Disks
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2004 16:06      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct SCSI drives were standard on the professional PowerMacs until the beige G3s. The IDE drives were mainly used on the consumer Performa models.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 05:48      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, at last some information. Thanks.

There is no practical way of getting your IDE drive to work with your Mac, sorry. (SCSI-IDE adapters do exist but I don't think you'll find it worth the time and money to try and track one down).

If you really want to add more hard disc capacity to your 460, look for an external or replacement internal SCSI drive on eBay. Bear in mind that you'll probably need third-party formatting software though, unless the new drive was originally installed in a Mac.

To be honest, if you want to upgrade a 460 I'd suggest replacing it - you can pick up a pre-G3 Power Mac or a PowerPC Performa model for next to nothing.

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 06:37      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dus enyone have a copy of Mac O.S. 7.6 to send me, on a bit of an upgrading spree at the moment
Apple actually charged people money for system 7.5.5 onwards so unless you have an original licence argreement for it in your hands, having a copy of it would be illegal.

You can, however, download system 7.5.3 from apple's web site. It is in 19 parts of about 1.5MB each, plus a readme which you might want to read.

Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Non-Geek with a computer
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2653

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 10:34      Profile for Non-Geek with a computer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The hard disk shows up on "SCSI Probe2 " dus that mean it is Scsi
Non-Geek with a computer
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2653

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 10:38      Profile for Non-Geek with a computer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The hard disk shows up on "SCSI Probe2 " dus that mean it is Scsi
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 12:01      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
Let's see...The Mac Performa:

[Macintosh Performa 460]
Hard Drive Bus: SCSI

Now this is all factory.

Non-Geek with a computer
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2653

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2004 14:55      Profile for Non-Geek with a computer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing befoure i clime the fence and escape to the real world. Dus eny one have a system file for 7.5. They are resons why i cant get the whole 19 images from the apple web site SO DoNT SUGGEST THAT [Mad]
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2004 15:02      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
+wO kW35+IOns PHOr YOU:

1) 15 3nGlI5h J00R F1r$+ [email protected]@9E?

@nD

B) DiD J00 ju5T CoME h3rE T0 @$k u5 PH0r HElP 4Nd LE4v3 oR Do J00 PL4n T0 $T4Y AnD ConTR1bUt3 +0 The [email protected]+ [email protected]+H 0F KNOwL3DG3, peRSON4L1tY, 4ND ch4R4Ct3r [email protected] Our [email protected]+ fr1eND5 $n49gY @nD Ni+RO HAVE grAC10U$LY pRoViD3D @ H0M3 PHOR?

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2004 16:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7.5???

Man, and I thought the computer in my lab that runs 8.6 was dated...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 04:38      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
+wO kW35+IOns PHOr YOU:

1) 15 3nGlI5h J00R F1r$+ [email protected]@9E?

@nD

B) DiD J00 ju5T CoME h3rE T0 @$k u5 PH0r HElP 4Nd LE4v3 oR Do J00 PL4n T0 $T4Y AnD ConTR1bUt3 +0 The [email protected]+ [email protected]+H 0F KNOwL3DG3, peRSON4L1tY, 4ND ch4R4Ct3r [email protected] Our [email protected]+ fr1eND5 $n49gY @nD Ni+RO HAVE grAC10U$LY pRoViD3D @ H0M3 PHOR?

33t: l-ee-t
Noun
    1 Language that replaces certain letters with numbers, which started on online FPS games. Derived from the word ''elite''. More recently become an internet taboo due to annoyingness. : j00 r31d t3h f4g0t bus t0 sk00l!
    2 Supposed "hacker" lanuguage that started before FPS games by lame wannabe cool kids that looks stupid. Replaces letters with numbers, praises appaling spelling and odd capitalisation. Crap : h0W tO 5ouND LIke @ PHuCk1N9 muPP3T In 0ne [email protected] S+EP
    3 pointless 'language' used by 'hackers', who are, in reality, 14yr olds with a copy of AOL instant messenger, and counterstrike : j00 4r3 4ll 61Y! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!one one one exclaimation mark

Come on, Jace, S0RT YR LIF3 0UT D00D!!!
[Razz]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 06:34      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!one one one exclaimation mark

Actually, I thought it was "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLZZ!!!!one-hundred-eleven!!!!eleven!!!one!!!
[Wink]

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 06:41      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah well, live'n'learn, eh?
[crazy]

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 06:45      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
7.5???

Man, and I thought the computer in my lab that runs 8.6 was dated...

OS 8.6? I'm sure they mentioned that in the documentary last night about the Queen of Sheba - and she (apparently) existed 3K years ago!

Time for an upgrade, X, time for an upgrade!

[Wink]

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 10:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not my responsibility or priviledge, hey-U. It's not my machine, and it won't be my lab for much longer either. [Smile]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 11:33      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...it won't be my lab for much longer either. [Smile]

/worried

I hope this is good news...

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 12:29      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good and expected news. I'm a first year grad student so I rotate through labs every ten weeks or so until I find one I like. Of course, Bush had to throw a war that ran up a huge deficit and so the lab I liked had its funding cut and therefore can't take me so it looks like I'll be doing a fourth rotation over the summer instead of starting my dissertation project like my classmates. The upside is, I'm getting some unrequested and unlooked for (but much appreciated) help.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 12:36      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/tries to imagine X rotating
/fails
[Razz]

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 13:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny. Seeing as I do aikido and used to figure skate I can see myself rotating pretty easily. [Razz]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Non-Geek with a computer
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2653

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 14:53      Profile for Non-Geek with a computer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Not my responsibility or priviledge, hey-U. It's not my machine, and it won't be my lab for much longer either. [Smile]

Not time for an upgrade on a preforma 460 mate
Non-Geek with a computer
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2653

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 19, 2004 10:00      Profile for Non-Geek with a computer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is sum one editing my posts!?!?! [Eek!] (see above)
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2004 10:36      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That was all from the leet speak generator. [Smile]
I do not actually know how to write it and could care less to learn.

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2004 11:35      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
That was all from the leet speak generator. [Smile]
I do not actually know how to write it and could care less to learn.

y0! haxxor d00d! Jace r0xxorz!!!

/hey-U kills himself before Jace does it for him... [Wink]

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2004 12:59      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, my work here is done

*progressive symphonic tune plays*
/me dusts off hands and removes disguise only to reveal a black tux and walks off into the sunset

Non-Geek with a computer
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2653

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2004 12:37      Profile for Non-Geek with a computer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ehhhhh right..........so eny one got a system7.5 system file?
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2004 13:05      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Non-Geek with a computer:
ehhhhh right..........so eny one got a system7.5 system file?

Depends - have U got TEH UPLA0D C0D3Z?!!!
W00t!!!
433t!!!one one one !!!
etc ad nauseam
*dies again*
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture