homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » An Hour with Kevin Mitnick

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An Hour with Kevin Mitnick
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 6 posted March 31, 2004 20:18      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stumbled onto this article link cited in newyork.com. Mitnick was in Orlando, Florida recently at an "Infosec" conference and agreed to a couple hours of interviews which will appear in two installments. I can only imagine what he would be like. Certainly I would imagine some of
James Garner's "Jim Rockford"(private detective) as portrayed in "The Rockford Files" as part of his persona, plus massive abiltiy with computers and the net.

I read "The Art of Deception" some while back and figured he would be writing from behind bars for some years. As it is he wasn't as bad as "Captain Midnight" in the eighties hacking "com sattelites" and sending them to deep space.(presumably with military surplus/salvage guided missle control equipment). Mitnick wanted to work in an academic sense to only become the best hacker. Mitnick's story isn't that much different from Jeff Bezos in his initial interest with tech. Somehow Mitnick found the human element as part of the equation long before others. His personal skills played a great part in achieving his ends and it may be
what truly sets him apart from many other technogeeks. He is cofounder of Defensive Thinking an L.A. based consulting firm.

Anyone who doesn't know of his story may find it an interesting article(part 1).

An Hour With Kevin Mitnick

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 02:18      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the latest video at www.thebroken.org

For those of you who don't know, The Broken is a group formed by TechTV's Kevin Rose. Supposedly they are teh uber haxors, but it seems a little lame.

Anyway, they have a nice little interview with Kevin in there, worth wading through the rest of the video.

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture