homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Cats and Dogs (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cats and Dogs
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 11:58      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the very few times that i have used those words in a sentence and not intended for it to be of a perverted nature and somehow you still manage to revert my statement. [shake head]
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 13:50      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having some of both right now - Personally I like cats better - if for no other reason that I can leave for a 3 day weekend without having to take it with or find a friend to take care of the critter. Sure you get a dirty look from a cat for being gone and maybe ignored for an hour but then they are begging for attention.

The dog on the other hand is happy just for giving it food and not so "stuck up". But a cat who has been lugged around by young kids (like mine) are so used to abuse that it thinks this is a normal situation. Strangers can scoop up my cats and pet them, etc.

If I ever get a dog again it will be a bigger dog. Yes they eat more and make more of a mess in the yard. But, they also seem to be more laid back.

If you go for the animal from the pound - be a little careful. One cat we got from the pound was a "pisssy cat" in that it pissed on the floor constantly. Another that we got from a neighbor was also a "pissy cat" in that it was always pissed off at me and hissed any time I came near. Those two cats lived out their days on the in-laws dairy farm and we got a couple of kittens from the farm that are now lazy fat things that love all the abuse a kid can give them. I know some will think I'm a "bad person" for saying this - but it is just a [email protected]!% animal and if it has serious problems get rid of it (humanely) and get another one. There are always lots more at the pound that will probably end up being put to sleep otherwise.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 16:40      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for the best of both worlds:

get a cat who thinks it's a dog.

Sweet, affectionate cats do actually exist, contrary to popular belief. Plus, if you're moving into an apartment, a big dog (like a Rot) will constantly be knocking things over and just generally getting in the way. It'd be like having a hyperactive two-year-old around all the time.

So, cat is my vote. Or you could just avoid the whole silly question and get a fish tank. [Smile]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 25, 2004 01:29      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you can breed a cat with a dog and get a cag or a dot. [Big Grin]

--It could happen, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 02:54      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cats rule. Compared to dogs, they are low maintainance, and they look sooo cute... Plus you can use them in schrodinger experiments, dogs just don't work see... Too energetic...

Benson is the only dog that rules... (There was a Hedges but he was involved in an unfortunate accident involving a 'schrodinger's dog' experiment...)

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 25, 2004 09:09      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could get a dogcow. moof. technote 31

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
linuxpyro
Geek Larva
Member # 2530

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 20:58      Profile for linuxpyro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't have a preference between the two. I like cats because of their independence, yet I like dogs because they're loyal. I've had both (at one point 2 dogs and three cats at the same time), and just can't choose one or the other, though right now I only have three cats (my German Shepherd passed away about 4 years ago). Although when it comes to dogs, I do prefer big dogs to small ones. It just seems that the smaller ones are too hyper and annoying. The bigger ones are more layed-back. But you've got to walk them more.
Posts: 29 | From: /home/ben | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 21:45      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lumina Manson:
[QB] Or you can breed a cat with a dog and get a cag or a dot. [Big Grin] /QB]

Or this
 -

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smurf Boy
Geek Larva
Member # 2537

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2004 15:15      Profile for Smurf Boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flashfire:
Go for the best of both worlds:

get a cat who thinks it's a dog.

Sweet, affectionate cats do actually exist, contrary to popular belief.

I have seen such a creature, it's name is Meeko, and looks like this  -

Look into getting a Maine Coon, it's a large housecat, and they are usually very smart and playful. At least in my experiences, though they do have some weird obsession with stealing bags of fritos...

--------------------
I didn't spend all that time playing Dungeons and Dragons and not learn a little something about courage.

Posts: 26 | From: The Land of Heat | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 14:21      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AWWWW, he's so cute! [hearts]

/me loves kitties. They're my weakness.

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 14:50      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a cat about that size, we have had him for about nine years. She is all grey and not because of his age.

Oh and feminine/masculine thing is correct. We thought that he was a she untill we took it to get fixed when the doctor said, you know your cat is a "HE" right? well we called him a her for the longest and she still answers to it so we (as a family) just call it whatever. Her name is Mickey and he will be going on to 10 in May.

eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 11 posted March 29, 2004 22:52      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GARMISCH-PARTENKIRCHEN, Germany - A four-eared German kitten has been given a new home after a animal shelter there was deluged with requests to adopt the animal born six months ago with the genetic defect. So....kitty, will you listen any
better than a cat with two ears?

-

Ach!! Vier ohren hat mein katze...aber hoeren mir
niemals!! >^.^<

Four-eared kitten finds new home !

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 30, 2004 01:23      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww, lookit the freak kitty! [hearts]
I'm still waiting for fat-ass, the wonder prego to give birth to her litter. I'm trying to keep her in the house, but my dad threatened already to get rid of her if he finds her in the house. And at the same time I'm trying to keep her away from my little brother, who tries to milk her every chance he gets. [tired]
(We should have a little vomiting graemlin) [Razz]
Get a cat.

--Join us..., C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture