homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » open revision?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: open revision?
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 05:21      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just a thought I've been having. I've already started revising for my final a-level exams in june, but for some reason I chose all the rediculous subjects that you can't get revision guides for (eg. further maths, anything by WJEC). That got me thinking about making my own, which developed into the idea of a sort of "Open Source" revision website, where users can post revision notes for any subject/level/module they wish. Maybe like Wikipedia, so you can edit them?

What do you think? Will there be enough people wanting to use it for it to float? And is there anywhere you'd recommend for cheap hosting if I were to go ahead with it?

Not: I probably won't go ahead with it, unless there's a *really* good reaction. I just want to see what you think.

Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 05:40      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here in the US we don't have A-Level exams. I guess the closest thing would be SAT II?
I made this for preparations for the Chemistry SAT II: http://chemistry.stonewallcs.com/ It should get populated by the end of April by the chemistry classes at my school. It would actually be cool to have a wiki style thing for that. Once I finished it (project for school), I think I'm going to modify it to become wiki-style (for my own benefit).

I don't know... It should be relatively simple...

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 06:20      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tut, i tried to get one a bit like that going on the college wiki (yes, we did have one) for AS Geology, but no-one was interested. if there was a way of getting the message around varies schools then it might be worth trying.
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 06:25      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this started as my chem teacher approaching me on, hypothetically, how one would go about doing somethign similar to this (but have people email me word files and i'd post them manually). And then it evolved into a 150 point test grade and I made that (he will grade people's submissions)
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2004 04:25      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want cheap uk hosting www.oenandone.co.uk are pretty good.

As for tips on further maths, just make sure you know every topic backwards and forwards then remember thanks to new labours stupid target settign scheme, they will change the grade system so you will all pass regardless (do you have any idea how low the pass was for pure 2 on the first time AS was done??).

Good idea for the site, you'd have to wean people away from bitesize though, the BBC dont take kindly to competition!

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 09, 2004 08:00      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cheers drazgal. i'm guessing your module results are out tomorrow too? good luck [thumbsup] !
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2004 03:39      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope I come from the test generation (we were first to do SATS (at 6 years old!) first to do AS levels, first to start the crazy new secondary school stuff), so I did mine a few years back. But good luck with your results, hope it comes out well for you!
Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture