homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Comp Project???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comp Project???
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2004 12:22      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my professors came to me today and asked me to do a project because he didn't think that he was challenging me enough.

Criteria:
Has to be related to coputers

With requirements so broad i cant manage to think of anything that would challenge me. remember it is a science thing so it has to test an ideal or prove a principle.

Help Me Please!!!

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2004 13:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Figure out what field you're interested in and do a lit search. He's given you a chance to explore the unknown. Exploit it. This is what research is all about.

Welcome to world of not knowing wtf is going on. [Razz]

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2004 13:44      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really depends on what questions or interests have been rattling around in your head. Maybe weather or geology, or perhaps something math-related?

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2004 13:59      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not gentics and play with gentic programming. Or communication and play with computer-generated poetry or something like A.l.i.c.e.?

Build a bot.... It fun and you get a bot out of it. And then document peoples reaction or though about intent towards the robots "behavior".

Or. .. or ... . . . . .

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2004 14:39      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im not looking to spend too much money no this project. im thinking less than 500 but less than 250 USD would be best.
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2004 15:58      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
umm professor of what? I'd imagine your prof would like it to be related to the subject matter. If its just a general computer/programming class might I suggest something with Lego Mindstorms. Search around the net a bit and you'll find all sorts of things from alternative operating systems to companies that mfr new sensors. The starter set is around $200 and should have enough stuff to do a few projects. Its a great system for learning to program on a budget and learning to interface the physical and digital worlds. Plus its really really fun!

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
somnabulist
Geek
Member # 2403

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2004 16:30      Profile for somnabulist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not sure how advanced you are so, I shall vary with my options

My options:
If you are into hardware, get a microcontroller and make something cool, then if you can connect it to a server (or any computer on the net) and let others play with it and see it via webcam. Id recommend Python or Perl for the scripting

If you like math and or coding, write a raytracer. Simple ones are common programming projects, lots of trig, some geometry, and very basic calculus are recommended.

If you are into low level programming and or parsing, write your own language. The guy who wrote METAL ( a mac BASIC language) was in 9th grade or something.

EDIT:

YAY! Im a geek w/ 100 posts now!

Also, I hate ALICE (Carnegie Mellon's java graphic toy). Perhaps just because it always crashed my machine at school.

Posts: 109 | From: in the chair | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2004 23:38      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive Decided to build a 'bot. I know how to build one that is radio controlled but as this is an opportunity to explore the unknown, I'm going to try and use a microcontroller and program it to do simple tasks.

I have a few questions:
1. What languages can I program this 'bot in?
2. What software can i use?
3. How will the 'bot (more specifically the controller) interface with my comp?

I think that is it. You have all been a really big help. I have done nothing but research for the last ~3 hours and these are the problems that I am having. I shall continue to look but any help is much appreciated.

Also, Thanks GM and Xanthine, Your posts were extremly helpful. Xanthine for motivating me and GM for the idea.

Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2004 05:03      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well as far as I know PIC microcontrollers are very popular for this sort of thing. Ive seen them come with BASIC and C languages before.

You can buy them usually with a serial cable that connects to your pc to upload the programs to them.

If you want resources for such a project you'll be able to find some great books on the topic on amazon though I don't know any urls Im afriad.

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shuravi
Geek Larva
Member # 1690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2004 11:04      Profile for Shuravi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want a very intimate relationship with a computer? Try to install win95 on a 386 with 4 megs of RAM.
Posts: 26 | From: The dark side of the Spoon | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2004 11:23      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shuravi:
Want a very intimate relationship with a computer? Try to install win95 on a 386 with 4 megs of RAM.

Eee! By 'eck, oor kid, tha's a reet blast from t'past, is that... Aye la', them were the days... Proper techno we 'ad then an' it were raht ravin' stoof an'all.. Aye, and that Win-doze were more of an MS-DOS shell than one o'them new-fangled hopperatin' systems...

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be... [Wink]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2004 15:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, while I'm rather intimately involved with Windows, having learned its ins and outs for something like a [baker's] dozen years (and it's older brother DOS for some years before that), I started to get pretty close to another piece of software a few years back. This software, a mail server for Windows, has consumed many waking hours of mine on and off again, for all of the nearly 3 years of my job here. Redoing parts of its webmail interface, manipulating its dynamically generated SSI tags & data with Javascript has probably caused me to learn far more than I ever wanted to about it. I'll never forget the month I spent planning a major version upgrade of it, in which I must have installed/reinstalled/uninstalled it about 30 times, and was on the phone with tech. support every few days, trying to figure out new ways around problems as they presented themselves to me. At the very least, I got a really good contact out of the affair, the most competent guy there, who could get in touch with the programmers, and run my test cases to figure out what the hell was going on. (Thanks, Eric!) This evening, I just made functional code after nearly a week's studying of the various CGI/JS calls, to build my own control panel page. Having a 582 line JS library made its functionality too hellish to study, and I have to thank uilleann for his very cool HTTP Werkzeug tool, which helped me find out what was actually being sent to the server. Pulling all this together with the O'Reilly JS Bible (David Flanagan's "Javascript: The Definitive Guide") helped produce a kick-ass 122 line HTML/JS app (which still needs more prettying up - bloated to 291 lines when wrapped in their template) - my boss wants to sell it back to the company [Wink] .

I'm sorry to have subjected anyone to this monologue/rant - it's just been a long day, and it feels kind of good to put this in words [Razz] . Besides, it'll probably just be skimmed over to this point [Smile] . Moral of the story (not really for this tale, but a good one anyway): Use open source software!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2004 15:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shuravi:

I'm not gonna ask...

You don't change, do you? [Razz] [evil]

BTW, are still in Crotchester or have you moved to Ithaca? [Big Grin]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
somnabulist
Geek
Member # 2403

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2004 17:28      Profile for somnabulist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a somewhat nice RC race car. I have the Python (no relation to language) Junior trainer controller and servos. You can connect the controller to a computer to use the controller to feed commands to the servos, though I have not looked at this kit. Go by a hobby store, the controller is common, and ask about it. Or google it. I am gonna eat dinner now, so I am too lazy too.
Posts: 109 | From: in the chair | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture