homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Routers, Hubs and net sharing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Routers, Hubs and net sharing
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2004 06:46      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not too hot my networking so I thought Id ask to make sure. Currenly in my flat we have a small LAN setup connected to a hub, we want to get broadband but dont want to use net sharing software so we were thinking of getting a router so we could. We would prefer if we could link the router to our hub so we dont need more lan cards and cable etc.

Would the router still be able to distribute the net connection to each pc if it was linked to the hub, and would it be able to share the bandwidth equally to all people?

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2004 07:08      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drazgal:
Im not too hot my networking so I thought Id ask to make sure. Currenly in my flat we have a small LAN setup connected to a hub, we want to get broadband but dont want to use net sharing software so we were thinking of getting a router so we could. We would prefer if we could link the router to our hub so we dont need more lan cards and cable etc.

Would the router still be able to distribute the net connection to each pc if it was linked to the hub, and would it be able to share the bandwidth equally to all people?

You're on the right track. The router should connect quite happily to the hub, and you should be right to go. In fact, you can probably get a combined modem/router (either cable or DSL modem, that is) and plug it straight in. Configure all the computers on the network to get IP addresses dynamically allocated, and Bob's your uncle, so to speak.

The possibly tricky bit is the "share bandwidth equally to all people" requirement. I don't know how the routers deal with this part, as my home LAN only has one machine at present. If this is really important, you might be better to find an old machine, and set up a Linux router on it. It's not quite so convenient, but it's more flexible, and you can probably install some software that does "fair" connection sharing.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2004 08:42      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your easist option is to by one of those boxes often labeled a "broadband sharing device". LinkSys makes a few excellent ones. They should cost no more than US $80. These provide a few services in one container

- DHCP client so the box can attach to your ISP
- DHCP server so all the machines get IP addresses
- caching DNS server to the local net
- NAT (which hides all the machines behind the single IP address)

When you start it up you MUST change the admin password and make sure any remote admin features are turned off (you don't want to be able to admin from anything but the local net).

While it is possible to set up your own firewall, I can't recommend that to anyone who considers themselves a network newbie. It's not always obvious how to set things up and most Linuxes turn on way too many services by default, so you are left with a firewall that often can be hacked right out of the box. The *only* service that should be running on a firewall is the firewall sotftware itself. No Apache, no mail, no Samba.
I don't even run ssh on mine.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2004 14:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a D-link router/ADSL modem, it basically does everything you need and is fairly easy to set up. I have 4 computers at home all sharing an ADSL link through this thing, and don't have any problems

They also do a model that includes a wireless base station, for not many $$$ more.

As advised above, always change the admin password, and be sure to set the firewall settings to something suitably paranoid.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted February 05, 2004 18:18      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you could put a second network card in a windows computer, commect that to your broadband, and the first one to the hub, then use XP' built in ICS. I think would be easiest. If not another NIC then a USB NIC adaptor wour work to.

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2004 09:09      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would *never* advise running a firewall on a machine you actually use. If you run ICS on XP, and pick up a little malware through mail or a web browser, you've now got a compromised firewall. That's not very useful.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2004 11:41      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not use a router with a firmware firewall built in?
Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2004 13:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay this should work for you. One asante 3400C router, this router comes with a WAN port and a COM port that can be used to connect a dial up modum then once you get the broad band, hook that router to the WAN port and you now have a backup if the broadband goes down. I have three Macs hooked up with a dialup modum because there is no cable near here and we live too far out for DSL.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2004 03:34      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well thanks for the advice but it doesnt seem to look like Il lbe getting ADSL anytime soon. BT have decided that we dont already have a phone line into the flat. Which in all honesty does make me wonder what the phone jack in the wall with BT written on it actually is, my guess is its a plant by aliens but Im open to suggestion [Smile]
Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture