homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Evil... [M$]

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Evil... [M$]
linuxpyro
Geek Larva
Member # 2530

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 14:56      Profile for linuxpyro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Gahh! XP keeps taunting me with that thing. I don't want to get involved with their stupid .NET thing! Anyone know how to turn it off? Apparently it won't take "no" for an answer, and just keeps popping up. I can't wait till I get my RedHat box built...

Posts: 29 | From: /home/ben | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 15:14      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm, I've never seen that one. Could you delete the executable?

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 15:40      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When does it come up? MS Office uses it for some "features". I figure it's not doing any more harm than using windows, so I fed it a dummy hotmail account, and it hasn't come up again. When all else fails, skew the(ir) data. They'll spam the account to death in about a month, but by then you could be running Linux.

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 16:17      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you notice, Zim'et's post in the 'Do you love Cats' forum was linked from an MSN home page. That is undoubtedly what kept wanting your .NET passport. If you see it elsewhere it is probably for similar reasons, i.e.: something is attempting to access a MSN service. You might be able to get around it by using Mozilla or an alternatie browser, but I've a feeling M$ wouldn't let you get away quite that easily.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
linuxpyro
Geek Larva
Member # 2530

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 16:26      Profile for linuxpyro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus:
If you notice, Zim'et's post in the 'Do you love Cats' forum was linked from an MSN home page. That is undoubtedly what kept wanting your .NET passport. If you see it elsewhere it is probably for similar reasons, i.e.: something is attempting to access a MSN service. You might be able to get around it by using Mozilla or an alternatie browser, but I've a feeling M$ wouldn't let you get away quite that easily.

That's an interesting idea. But I think I'll try giving it a fake Hotmail account. It was coming up at just about every page I went to for a while, but seems to have stopped now.
Posts: 29 | From: /home/ben | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2004 10:41      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_messenger.htm

go to start> run: type in msconfig

go to startup tab
disable *everything* except antivirus/firewall and anything to do with your printers

go to services tab
hide MS services, and diable everything you see except antivirus/firewall/printer/video
unhide, sort by name
and scroll down to uncheck messenger if it's still there

open add/remove
uninstall .NET (you don't develop M$ apps, so you don't need it

open control panel and open automatic updates
UNcheck automatic, do it yourself

that'll help and should fix the problem

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2004 12:16      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
something else that i dont like about xp is thtat it tries to integrate msn messenger with everything else that is microsoft on your copmuter even msn.com. all you have to do is take your msn messenger out of you start up.

Just follow ct's directions and that should do it. In the locations section of the startup tab of the msconfig area, you can see what all the apps are that are running otherwise your gonna get a whole bunch of cAPP and Mssmsn's and stuff that is incoherent unless you know what they are.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture