homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Philosophy questions? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Philosophy questions?
Dr Psyclops
Geek
Member # 2440

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 13:39      Profile for Dr Psyclops         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, were olny supposed to bear arms in state miltias, and then olny in times of war. The constitiution is like any other item of written word: We can belive from it what we want to beleve.

On stupid people:

I think ignorance is worse than stupidity. Being stupid is not knowing a lot of stuff. Ignorance is not wanting to know things. Ignorance is a crime against the sheer complexity and elegance of the human brain.

As for their multiplication, illuminatus is right. Geeks have more important things to worry about than simple recreation (recreational sex and over-emphasis on sports and such). geeks train for more important things

--------------------
Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
Whenever I return home, everyone is glad I am there.
-Robert L. Humphrey

Posts: 132 | From: Escaped into the waves... | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 13:59      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Psyclops:
Well, were olny supposed to bear arms in state miltias, and then olny in times of war. The constitiution is like any other item of written word: We can belive from it what we want to beleve.

On stupid people:

I think ignorance is worse than stupidity. Being stupid is not knowing a lot of stuff. Ignorance is not wanting to know things. Ignorance is a crime against the sheer complexity and elegance of the human brain.

As for their multiplication, illuminatus is right. Geeks have more important things to worry about than simple recreation (recreational sex and over-emphasis on sports and such). geeks train for more important things

I have no idea what the hell you are trying to say.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 14:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Psyclops:

No, not knowing a lot of stuff is just being uneducated, this can happen to smart people due to circumstances, eg, being born in a poor village in Africa.

The first cave-human to make fire didn't know a lot of stuff, but he/she knew that the nights were long and cold, and thought up something new to solve the problem.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 14:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you misunderstood TFD. Ignorant people are not only uneducated, they do not want to be educated, or make no effort to become educated even if the circumstances allow it. I see ignorance by choice as a greater crime than ignorance by circumstance. It's one thing to never have the chance to learn. It's quite another to have all the oppurtunities a person could dream of and throw them away.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 15:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't disputing what he said about ignorance, I was disputing his definition of stupidity.

'Not knowing a lot of stuff' is lack of education, it can happen to anyone with a bit of bad luck, travel around Africa, and you'll meet plenty of smart people who can't write their own name. This is something that can often be rectified by a good teacher.

Stupidity is being thinking-impaired, it's something far more fundamental. A good school can still produce a well-educated idiot.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
linuxpyro
Geek Larva
Member # 2530

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 16:41      Profile for linuxpyro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here's an interesting idea. It's a bit hard to put into words, but I'll do my best.

By some odd turn of events, the entire world divides into two nations, both with about the same amount of people. (I don't know how this could happen; use your imagination.) Both nations go to war over something. Now, say that one person decides to take a stand, and builds a powerful bomb, one that can blow up the planet and kill everyone. He announces to both sides that he will detonate said bomb unless the fighting stops and the nations make peace. But no one listens, and he pushes the button.

So what happens, assuming his bomb was not a dud? Is any problem really solved? Who actually dies; is it everyone, or just the guy who pushed the button, as he isn't really alined with anyone? Just an interesting idea I thought up out of boredom one day.

Posts: 29 | From: /home/ben | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 16:54      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is not so much solved as rendered non-existent. And everyone dies. Mortal is mortal. Don't matter who's side you're on. When the doomsday device goes off, everyone's toast.

The real question is, assuming that there's someone around to chronicle this, who takes the blame for blowing the world up? The guy who pushed the button, or the generals and world leaders who didn't take him seriously?

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dr Psyclops
Geek
Member # 2440

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 18:32      Profile for Dr Psyclops         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He (or she) was taking the easy way out. Like suicide. And I doubt that someone [normal] would get the feeling that EVERYONE needs to die.

90% of people go through life in the box. (dub-yah)
5% of people get out of the box and become the leaders and makers of the world (gahndi, king, etc.)
5% of people get out of the box and *snap* (ted kazinski)

Xanthine is right in that it would'nt fix anything if everybody was dead. There would just eventually be an alein visit to a dead world (if it still existed) that was inhabited by beings too pathetic to save themselves.

Lucky for us, the guy with the power to destroy the world FIVE times sees the world as "with us or against us"! [ohwell]

I suppose it's wrong to take bets...

--------------------
-Robert L. Humphrey

Posts: 132 | From: Escaped into the waves... | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
illuminatus
Geek
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 23:11      Profile for illuminatus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no stupidity is being ignorant and not wanting to fix your error. being igorant is just being uneducated. ignorance is totally acceptable. i for one am igorant on many things, but i wish to learn.

--------------------
-illumina+us
http://illuminatus.oczombies.net/
I suck at life IRL

Posts: 124 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dr Psyclops
Geek
Member # 2440

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2004 13:01      Profile for Dr Psyclops         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think it's the other way around. It's all good.

--------------------
-Robert L. Humphrey

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture