homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » What drives you? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What drives you?
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 19:09      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that you just joined so... WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

(/me pounces Smurf Boy)

and... blowing things up... thats cool... thats really cool... and fun too... now I will go to cause some combustion, in this damn engine... be back when I destroy something...

[evil]

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 12 posted January 08, 2004 19:34      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crazyarlo:
Someday, I will learn a language!

Um... Am I the one who's got to point out the obvious, or may I ask Xanthine to break it to crazyarlo gently, and with tact (re: he already gots, one, you see?)?

and

quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
I prefer shiny girls and gadgets... or even shiny girl gadgets, when I feel the need. [Smile]

heh heh heh... I bet you do...

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 21:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crazyarlo:
Someday, I will learn a language!

Well, I would call him on that Jess, but there are some who might debate whether or not I truly know English. I know my ability to speak, write, and understand any language is inversely proportional to my stress level, and directly proportional to how much sleep I've been getting.

The sad part is, I'm monolingual.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 23:57      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to say I am most motivated by usefulness.
Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 00:47      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at the moment, my motivation is to get to uni and go on into research. well, most of the time. sometimes I just give up...
Posts: 1152 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 02:10      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all things I strive to be remembered by as many people as possible... In a good way...

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 10:58      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So more Charlemagne than Attila the Hun?

I guess I don't really want to be remembered so long as I make a difference. And it doesn't even have to be a big earth-shattering difference. I just want to make the lives of the people around me slightly better than if I weren't there. Which hasn't always worked. [blush]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 12:44      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my bicycle drives me to class when i'm running late and it's too cold to walk it...errr. [Wink]
Dr Psyclops
Geek
Member # 2440

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 18:32      Profile for Dr Psyclops         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chi. And the goal of enlightenment.

[tired]

--------------------
Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
Whenever I return home, everyone is glad I am there.
-Robert L. Humphrey

Posts: 132 | From: Escaped into the waves... | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 23:16      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Psyclops:
Chi. And the goal of enlightenment.

[tired]

<hey-U class="show_ignorance">Chi? I keep seeing/hearing this word, but nobody can give me an adequate explanation of it. Can you?</hey-U>
Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 23:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chi (or ki if you prefer Japanese) is the life-force. It's energy that flows around and through you. Some say it can be manipulated. It's the basis for The Force from Star Wars, however, unlike The Force, it's completely internal and has nothing to do with midichlorians (wtf are those, anyways? they sound like a cross between chloroplasts and mitochondria...does this mean Jedi can carry out photosynthesis?).

At least, that's the understanding I've gotten from aikido. Exactly how ki can be manipulated is debatable. A lot of it can be attributed by physiology, psychology, and physics, but then there are some odd ones out there who claim that they can use ki to levitate and other such nonsense.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2004 00:19      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and "ch'i" (note apostrophe) is presumably just a grammatical (or do I mean syntactical) variation?...
Dr Psyclops
Geek
Member # 2440

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2004 10:53      Profile for Dr Psyclops         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. It's the life energy. Scienticfically speaking, it's all probibly psychological, but the idea can be very powerful. I meditated out in the night desert (it was about 9 degrees F), without much discomfort (due to this psychological control). Acupuncture is based on the idea of properly stimulating "Chi Channel".

As far as Ch'i, i've never seen it spelled that way, i would think it's a phonetic emphasis.

--------------------
Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
Whenever I return home, everyone is glad I am there.
-Robert L. Humphrey

Posts: 132 | From: Escaped into the waves... | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2004 15:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ch'i is the more proper and pretentious way to spell chi.

I've never sat outside on a freezing night (and I probably would die if I tried) but I have gone into a sort of mindless state where I'm not really aware of anything external. The last time this happened, it was at the opening ceremony for the aikido dojo I belonged to in Seatte (and return to when I'm visiting). We were doing 108 suwariwaza shomenuchi ikkyos (throwing each other around while waddling on our kneess). I know this technique very well, as did my partner. I was the junior rank and took falls first, and I was coming in with the attack about as fast as I could get my face off the mat, and he was throwing me about as fast as I was attacking. I thought I was counting, but when he asked me where we were, I was off by more than thirty. I have no idea how that happened - I mean, I was the one hitting the floor. I should know how many times that happened, right? I was, however, able to keep track of things while throwing him, but only because I forced myself to stay semi-alert to what I was doing.

Even more odd, I had an upset stomach getting on the mat and all through the warm-up. One of the reasons I took the pace I did was because I wanted to get thorugh it before I threw up (do not ask what my reasoning was), but as soon as the action started, I was fine. Once we'd finished we settled back on the side of the mat and I was right back where I started before the training began. Go figure.

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 03:35      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xie xie
[Smile]

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 04:01      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope. [Wink]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
d3m057h3n35
Mini Geek
Member # 2378

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2004 07:50      Profile for d3m057h3n35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All my waking and sleeping moments, it is the knowledge of my sheer need to survive in this frigid wasteland...

Well not really. I am actually driven to seek out a state with the lowest energy possible. I'm pretty good at entropy by now...

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture