homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Question About Sat. ISP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question About Sat. ISP
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2013 06:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out here in the Boonies, Dial-up is a non-starter, No Cable for the next three years, we have been hearing that for the last six years. So at this time we are using one of those special Cell Phones called MiFi, it works but at certain times of the day slows down just like Dial-up.

There is Hughes net, and WildBlue I have heard horror stories about both. Now there appears to be a re-branding of WildBlue as Excede. Has any one had experience with WildBlue and especially with Excede?

The first time I checked their website I was not favourably impressed, has that changed?

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5472 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2013 20:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard of either, but I don't pay a lot of attn to sat. ISPs.

All I remember is horror stories from fs about her connection years ago. That kind of turned me off to the prospect of it, so I happily used my cable for years. Then I got FiOS, and things have been great ever since.

Try nagging your Congress-critters to get broadband in your area - it's complete crap that you can't get good access in 2013.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9209 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2013 05:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman, Cable, Fiber, Power-lines are all about return on investment. The section of land we live in ( one Square Mile ) would take four miles of cable to serve one dozen customers.

WiFi, Sprint, Verizon, M33access. We are on the fringe of coverage on all three of those also. For TV we have a Small dish, and an Antenna, with a pre-amplifier for the local channels during rain fade events.

Then most congress critters only think about lack of signal.

Politico

The rain fade could be a problem for a Sat. dish ISP.

The other side of the coin we watch newborn fawns, wild turkey, and the occasional coyote, the rabbits are almost pests.

-

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5472 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.