homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Big boxes 'n wires - 'putin' inna old skool stylee

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big boxes 'n wires - 'putin' inna old skool stylee
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2010 15:47      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get me wrong, all these lightweight mobile devices and WiFi networks are great, but I still like boxes, big screens and Gigabit ethernet too, and so I wired up my home properly over the last week or so, lifting up floorboards, running sections of plastic conduit pipes over joists to guide the cable, installing ethernet sockets and so on. It took quite a while to plan it, but the result looks quite neat and discrete, which matters in your home, it is cheap and not hard to do, and the results are well worth it. The network is now 10x faster, so Time Machine works with only a slight lag, and it now makes sense to store our large media libraries on network HDs, and on those occasions when my ISP is running at full throttle, I can get downloads near their advertised 20 MB/s speed, a 50% increase on my maximum WiFi speed.

Even for those with a laptop, if nearly all your work is done at the same two or three places and you are not planning to move home soon, this is a project worth considering.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2010 16:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I regret not doing that when renovated Casa Del Druid back in the 90's.

At the time we only had one computer, and a home network seemed unnecessary. Now we have 9 devices on the network, and an ethernet point in every room would be really handy.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2010 21:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huzzah...proud of ya, mate! [Smile]

Cat-5[e] is great stuff...highly reliable, and quite fast.

That said, wireless is the 'way of the future,' and so I'll tout it more these days, if only because it 'pays the bills.' [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 06:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ So people how far does a WiFi card transmit? Our closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away, we are 1/8 mile off the road, so should we worry about war/drivers?

____ If I turn on the card, on one of the Laptops, I do not ever see a wireless network.

____ So if I bought a wireless router, I would still encript, but would some one see our network?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 08:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
____ So people how far does a WiFi card transmit?

Depends on the flavor

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 10:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I was aware that with the right firmware and a wrt54 router using only channels 1/6 I could build a link 3 miles and still fall inside my license class, thanks for the other info. So I will encript.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 17:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Next week I may be a HAPPY CAMPER. I have a Novatel 2200 MiFi unit on order, it will be set up for the Sprint Network, their maps show us just outside of network range however no one told some of their phones, they do work here. I guess I should down load the manual and directions for setting the thing up.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 21:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Next week I may be a HAPPY CAMPER. I have a Novatel 2200 MiFi unit on order, it will be set up for the Sprint Network, their maps show us just outside of network range however no one told some of their phones, they do work here. I guess I should down load the manual and directions for setting the thing up.

MoMan...cool - I have yet to play with a MiFi, but I've read a /lot/ of good things about them. I'm tempted to get one from Virgin Mobile, as they have a no contract plan that's very reasonable. However, I still manage to survive without WiFi everywhere I go, so I think I'll refrain for now.

BTW, if you found that you got good coverage in one area, and it wasn't anywhere near where you use your computer, you could probably rig up some clever form of network repeater. [Big Grin] (Because the MiFi doesn't have any network ports, this would actually be a bit complicated, but that's nothing a clever case of iptables, a Linux laptop, a switch, and a mess of Cat-5 couldn't solve. [Razz] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 22:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. Something must be in the air. My cousin and his wife just wired up their house.

kreziserb and I are actually a bit at odds over wired vs. wireless. I prefer a wire. Our home wireless is pretty damn solid, but I've had some annoying experiences with wireless at work and I worry about security. Then again, kreziserb also worries about security and our connection is encrypted. But my biggest beef with wireless is that it takes some time to get itself in gear after my computer has been sleeping. Never had that problem with an Ethernet cable. Where we used to live, we had the modem and router in the same room as the computers and I'd just use the cable. Where we live now, the modem and router are in another room and they can't be moved because that's where teh cable jack is. However, I don't want exposed Cat5 all over the house. Seriously. It's a rental house so we can't put in ports, even if we weren't having a holy war. I'd have to tape (wouldn't want to staple on account of it being a rental) cable to the floor all the way from the far side of the living into the bedroom we're using as an office/study. It would be an unsightly tripping hazard. So I just live with the wireless.

What's kinda cute is I can pick up my neighbors networks and so I know that that there's a Harry Potter fan (Accio Internet!) and an Avatar fan (Hometree) not too far from here. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2010 03:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ dragonman97, I believe that this is what you are talking about.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/broadband2go.html

____ When you go to coverage, the maps all say Sprint.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2010 09:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____ dragonman97, I believe that this is what you are talking about.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/broadband2go.html

____ When you go to coverage, the maps all say Sprint.

Mmm-hmm. Sprint coverage at basement closeout prices.
(Hopefully Sprint is giving you a fair rate - I'm just familiar with seeing most major carriers gouge their customers for data plans.)

P.S. Ha! There's a banner ad for the above running here on GC.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2010 09:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Actually Dman, it is the VirginMobile unit I have on order. I was not sure that you had heard of them, also the unlimited plan looks the best.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2010 11:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____ Actually Dman, it is the VirginMobile unit I have on order. I was not sure that you had heard of them, also the unlimited plan looks the best.

Good stuff - I'd love to know how it works out for you.

I read about them on Gizmodo or Engadget sometime ago, and Pogue gave them a rave review a few weeks ago. I recommended them to a client of mine who's been getting ripped off by Verizon. They used to have a ~$20 for ~200 MB/mo plan that I thought looked *AWESOME*, but now they've moved to the $40/unlimited plan that's amazing compared to the big players. (I'm sure I could have survived on 200 MB for Gmail and assorted iPod Touch use.)

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2010 13:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Virgin leases tower access from Sprint and has no towers of their own in the USA, so the coverage maps are identical (thus the Sprint logo on the maps).

I don't have the MiFi, but I have the USB Broadband2Go device for when I'm travelling. I would assume the MiFi device will give similar results.

The service works as advertised. The bandwidth is generally within the 600 and 1400 Kbps that they advertise. I've seen it drop lower, but only when I was some place where I didn't have good signal quality. When I had a strong signal, the experience was very much like the 1.5 Mbps DSL connection I had before I went to a faster cable connection.

I like the cost structure of the service as well. I really have no need for it unless I'm on a road trip. Paying for only the specific time periods that I need is much cheaper than paying for a service year-round.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2010 15:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well right now the cost of our (POOPY) phone line, is the same as the unlimited plan, now add on the cost of the ISP.

____ BoostMobile has a new rate called unlimited with shrinkage, after paying on time for six months the rate goes down. Boost being a subsidiary of Sprint, me wonders about the VirginMobile deal and how much under the table goes on.

____ GrumpySteen, question do you think that the data rate may be controlled by the upper limit of the USB ports?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2010 19:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
question do you think that the data rate may be controlled by the upper limit of the USB ports?

USB 1.1 maxes out at 12 Mbps. Unless you've got other devices on the hub that are using over 90% of that bandwidth, the USB port won't be the performance bottleneck.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2010 21:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____ BoostMobile has a new rate called unlimited with shrinkage, after paying on time for six months the rate goes down. Boost being a subsidiary of Sprint, me wonders about the VirginMobile deal and how much under the table goes on.

Actually...Virgin Mobile is a subsidiary of Sprint as well. The two are both Sprint's 'cheap'† imprints, intended to differentiate from their flagship line‡.

Steen's comment about the tower usage /used/ to be true, until Sprint up and bought them. [Smile]

† i.e. Affordable.
‡ i.e. ~$90/month. [Razz]

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2010 03:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Now that you have answered my goofy questions, I have to wait. This is worse than Christmas.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2010 13:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Just thought I would toss this into the fray.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/magazine/14Hacker-t.html

[shake head]

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 02:42      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____ Just thought I would toss this into the fray.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/magazine/14Hacker-t.html

[shake head]

What a great story MoMan, and what a fascinating ruthless sociopath Gonzales is. Even the writer does not appear to be completely immune to his charm. There's undoubtedly a movie in there.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 03:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Callipygous, What a great story MoMan, and what a fascinating ruthless sociopath Gonzales is. After reading your reply I began to wonder, If some of this piece is fictitious, or greatly spun. I now have doubts?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 17:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Again the RF Gods are not on my side of the Smith chart. VM claims that there predictive software shows I will not get a signal. However a Sprint blackberry will do every thing it is supposed to do here, Damn RF gods.

____ Monday nights there is a Slow Scan net that I usually check into, tonight I can not get a signal into the repeater in Flint.

http://www.mscginc.us/

This link will let you see the picture we send.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2010 03:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I am still bummed that I can not get broadband here. So this morning I ran some predictive software for propagation. Search for Ham+radio+Splat. This gave me my chances of hitting the towers that Sprint owns with an outbound signal, pretty close to what their coverage made showed.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture