homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Apple: Buy or wait?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Apple: Buy or wait?
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 06:29      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grum's post of a concept Macbook reminded me of this:

Should You Buy an Apple Product Now or Wait for Some Time?

quote:
If you are planning to buy a new iPod, iPhone, iMac or any other hardware from Apple, your first thought is often something like this:

Should I buy an iPod now or wait for some more time as rumors strongly suggest that Apple may be planning to release some new iPod models soon and they may even drop some existing ones from their current product line.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 07:58      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take option C and not waste my money on apple junk at all. [Smile]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 08:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 4 or 5 years old iMac is still working. (Well, I had to change its hard drive, but since, no problem.) It still does what I want it to. Granted, the last game I bought was a Sims 2 add-on, and I mostly spend my time with Civ IV, then only small games. So I do not need too much power. Although with my steampunk projects, I have started considering acquiring a technical drawing software, which may require more power than I have.

So my take on your question is the same as for any other object: buy if you need it; wait if your current tools/toys can do the job properly.

But then, sometimes, the mermaid's song is too strong to resist... [hearts] (What helps me is that I think about getting a house, I want to go to Vienna within a year, and have a few other projects, so it's easier to stick to budget! [Angel] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 10:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got laptop that's over four years old which I've been considering replacing. It's developed a couple of vertical lines on the screen which, while they don't affect the computer's performance and I can use an external monitor, they are annoying and I have to put up with them if I want to use a dual monitor setup (which I do).

I've been looking at laptop prices and I've found some that look like reasonably good deals, but I keep coming back to two facts:

1) Despite its age, laptop runs almost everything I want to run. There are a few games that it doesn't run well, but they run fine on the two year old desktop that I use for very little else than playing games and not ripping Blu-Ray movies with AnyDVD (really... I wouldn't ever think of doing that *adjusts halo* ).

2) It will only cost $70 or so for a new screen which is about a mortgage payment less than a new laptop.

So what I'm curious about, which I think is relevant to the OP, is how many others are having similar experiences. Do you find that you have little need to buy a new computer in recent years other than the need to replace broken systems and/or your desire for newer/shinier? Are there any features available only in the newer systems that really make a difference in your usage of the computer?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 01, 2009 11:43      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Release cycles are quite weird for Apple recently. The iPhone would be expected to be updated in June-July, making the safer bet in order to hold.

The iPod line is being updated quite regularly around August-September, except for the Shuffle, who had a recent redesign. The current line has no showstoppers, so you may want to buy now.

Macs are becoming unpredictable, but all of them received refreshes at certain extent no more than 2 months ago, so I'm for buying a Mac now.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2009 03:41      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with drunkennewfiemidget on this.

Except the iPod/iPhone, I wouldn't buy an Apple computer anymore.

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 03, 2009 08:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what I'm curious about, which I think is relevant to the OP, is how many others are having similar experiences. Do you find that you have little need to buy a new computer in recent years other than the need to replace broken systems and/or your desire for newer/shinier? Are there any features available only in the newer systems that really make a difference in your usage of the computer?

Steen... we had been doing just that, living with our PowerBooks for the last , hmmm, 5 years or more, since they got the job done. We only recently moved up to MacBook Pros, 1. to get a bit more horsepower, and 2. to handle the Internet things faster. (um, can you say Star trek movie trailer at 1080p? [Razz] ) We ended up getting refurbs, which have been just perfect.

(heh, notice the two saying don't buy an Apple? One is drunk, and the other is smashing his head against his computer. [Razz] )

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2009 08:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Would I buy newer, faster, more powerful, and shinier. If I could afford it. I just replaced my thirty five year old Icom with a newer, faster, more powerful, and shinier, HT I still have not started programing it. The old 2AT was all manual, it did the job but when frequency agility was needed, it did not stand a chance against the new ones. So the battery pack will remain charged and it will be in the truck IN CASE. I will be using the new Alinco.

I have been thinking of buying APPLE stock.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2009 11:36      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:

Honestly there is no reason other than absolute failure for me to replace my laptop. We have a DV5000 here that was given to me a while back for helping a guy out. His kid messed with it to the point of where it was going BSOD before it finished up loading the desktop. So dad got him an iBook and he kept this around for a while.

A quick load up of Debian later I had a pretty nice lappy. In recent months I did do a Vista load for T and she enjoys it. Though it took a lot of snap out of it. So next rebuild it will go back to XP Media Center edition.

Recently the screen took a dive so right now I have a new inverter on order. The 15 dollar inverter is a lot cheaper than replacing the laptop, and since it is an email web surfing machine there is nothing new that appeals.

I do have my old Washington's hatchet of a computer here (
relevency link ) that is finally getting to the point where I am gonna need to replace it. AGP cards and standard PCI cards are getting hard to find locally. And when I go out shopping for computer hardware I can find PCI-X stuff all day long. So when it dies, it will be replaced.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2009 13:53      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW (as of now which is currently 21:40 BST, UK) the Apple store is down with the customary "Back Soon" post it ...

This strikes me as a bit odd... nothing on the rumour mill was predicting any immediate updates and it isn't a customary time for such an occurrence - but something is happening obviously - and also (as of now) no tech sites/blogs that I visit have made a post on it yet...

Interesting... Something big? I would guess at not - but sometimes Apple do slip out something almost unannounced, which can be fun!

As to the original post... buy what you need when you need it unless it is REALLY close to a well known "break point" for Apple... I have bought or replaced all my home kit over the last 3 years and so I am going to be sitting tight for a few years now I guess - but it depends on your needs... and something newer and shinier and "better" will always come along within months of any purchase (then again buying the last of a well established line can sometimes be a sounder bet than risking the rev 1.0 of a new but shiny one)

So in the end like most things in life you take your money out of your wallet and you take your choice...

(and just for an aside I recently got given one of these... Satellite 1700-200
and with a bunk up in RAM to a massive 192MB and an install of Xubuntu it is a bearable box to do basic IM/Web/Email - sure it is slow, and the passive matrix screen is "pants", and the battery is no use at all, and it needed a USB wireless dongle... but I was pretty pleased to make it into a useable thing at all tbh)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2009 14:26      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE

as of now 22:15 BST, UK the store is back up and Shuffles, Minis, iMacs and Pros are all marked as new...

I am not enough of an Apple Store watcher to tell you what the changes are... no doubt the blogsphere will be alive with a host of comparisons and comments in the next 24hrs

You saw it here first!!!!

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2009 15:47      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought my 24" iMac in Jan 2008, so I won't be looking for a new Apple machine until this time 2013, or thereabouts.

When I replaced the original 15" G4iMac it was five and a half years old and still a very usable machine. However, it was starting to fall below what was standard by late 2007. It still is the most attractive computer design I have ever seen, but the lines were spoiled by the Bluetooth dongle hanging out the back. The Superdrive could write DVDs at the staggering speed of 1x. But the thing that was really getting on my tits was being limited to USB 1.

If the G4 iMac had USB 2, then I might still have it today.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture