homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Adobe Acrobat Reader is the new MS Word

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adobe Acrobat Reader is the new MS Word
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2009 03:45      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F-Secure advises users to get an alternate PDF reader because Adobe's Acrobat Reader leaves them open to attack.

I already use Adobe's reader only as a last resort. I usually use Evince or xpdf, but I'd love to find something that offers nice, convenient, PDF annotation. Anybody know of something like that for Linux?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 23, 2009 11:23      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Searching the Ubuntu repos, I found Xournal and Okular, the one is for GTK+ and the other for KDE 4. I have not tried them myself since I've never needed to make annotations on a PDF.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2009 15:16      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the way reader works most of the time I thought it was the malware...
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2009 12:21      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Mac side, Preview has pretty much made Acrobat Reader unnecessary.

--------------------
Peace,
CW

guitar, bass, percussion, Macintosh.
http://www.cwsmith.fm

Posts: 42 | From: Des Moines, IA USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2009 13:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CW Smith:

Speaking of which - Mac Firefox users should check this out:
http://code.google.com/p/firefox-mac-pdf/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2009 14:15      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CW Smith:

I thought so too, until yesterday. Me and Mrs Grummash had cause to download a couple of application forms from our government's website. At first I only saw the 'download and print' version, but then I noticed the 'download and fill-in onscreen before you print' version, which was clearly the more sensible choice.

Sadly, Preview did not recognise the text-entry fields and we had to resort to Adobe Reader to complete the forms. This is a shame because, having made much use of Preview's ability to stitch .pdf's together into a single document, I thought it had matured into a viable replacement for Reader.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture