homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Unable to boot up my computer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unable to boot up my computer
2Brian
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 26974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2009 22:51      Profile for 2Brian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year I successfully built a new computer (my first attempt)with a Gigabyte 650i SLI motherboard plus a 512 mb Gainsward Video card.

Sometimes I'd experience booting problems, but loosening the video card and reseating it would fix the problem, until finally it would not boot up at all.

The repair man diagnosed a cracked mother board, and had it replaced under warranty.

Now that I have reassembled the computer with new motherboard, all the fans work and the hard drives seem to spin up, (I can't be sure), but no "post" appeared and there was no initial "beep".

However trying my old trick of removing the video card and reinserting it has brought an immediate high pitched continuous screaming beep until I switch off. Nothing I now do seems to alleviate this condition. What is my problem and what to do.

Posts: 1 | From: Wonga Beach, Australia 4873 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2009 02:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ 2Brian ___ Okay, start with all connectors. Unplug reassemble, check battery. Check every item in a working comp. Be sure to check the seating on the memory cards, This may still be a warranty problem.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2009 07:27      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you ever experience any video problems? With a cracked MB there may have been voltage and/or IO irregularities that nuked the video card and the system is throwing a fit. Do you have another video card that you can use temporarily? If so, and the machine boots fine, then the video card you have in there now is dead.

Besides following MoMan's advice (which is what you should always do in these situations), if you can try to check the power supply, see if it's output is within normal operating parameters.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2009 10:33      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try putting bare minimum on the mothebord and seeing if it posts.

memeory and power. Add things one at a time until you don't post any more.

IF memory and power supply won't post, switch them out. one at a time (it helps if you have freinds with compatible computer parts.)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2009 21:01      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something about SLI boards [Frown] . My (crappy) ASUS A8N-SLI slowly bit the dust. For the longest time if you removed it from a power source, the next time you tried to start it, the power button would not work for like... ten minutes. After a long period of grounding I tried to start it up again and alas, it has not booted in the next 6 months of sitting plugged in. It was a beautiful Linux box [Frown]

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2009 03:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________ 2Brian _ Okay you have had enough time to go through these suggestions, Have you found out anything on your Comp?

Please update us do not walk away happy that we solved the problem or disgusted we did not. You did not give us much to go on.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture