homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Back up questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Back up questions
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2007 20:08      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yo all,

I got my new 1TB hard drive, which would be filled up more than I thought if i copied over stuff from both of the 500GB drives that I have..

So, a question.

1 - I have a Western Digital Hard Drive, Portable 500GB Model. It's a model number of 5000YD. Does anyone know if these things are IDE, or Sata inside the enclosure?

2 - If IDE, are there any enclosures that take both Sata and IDE? I could join the two 500 GB Drives together and get another 1TB drive..

Thanks
Neil

--------------------
The Un-Official WPLJTV channel..

http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Posts: 54 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2007 20:39      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.wdc.com/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ide+sata+enclosure

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 06:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shredder565 _________________________ Do you know how to get the computer into reverse before you attempt to back up?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 09:29      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, I can only get it too automatically park itself.

Wow, those things are expensive, and ugly looking to boot. I guess it's just easier to get 1TB drives from now on.

Posts: 54 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 11:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder565:
Nope, I can only get it too automatically park itself.

Wow, those things are expensive, and ugly looking to boot. I guess it's just easier to get 1TB drives from now on.

YOu could just have the 2 drives in separate enclosures and use software JBOD to join them.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 15:33      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming the WD drive is the Mybook model, you should be able to see what kind of cable it uses by looking through the air vents in the back of the enclosure - it's easy to tell the difference between a wide, flat IDE cable and a thin SATA cable. Most of the drives should be SATA, but you do get a PATA drive every now and then. A friend of mine got a bunch of them when they were on sale and cracked them open to use the drives in computers he's building; out of six or seven drives, one was IDE, the rest were SATA. Also, why do you need to "join" the drives into one? It's not like you're going to have files that are over half a terabyte in size.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 16:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All ________________ But Shredder565 is making a full length full screen movie that he is planning to distribute However the DRM built into his drive will prevent anyone from seeing said movie except at Shredder565s.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2007 09:52      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer question 2, yes. I have several enclosures that support both types.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
tim-e
Geek Larva
Member # 22073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2008 04:06      Profile for tim-e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> 2 - If IDE, are there any enclosures that take both Sata and IDE? I could join the two 500 GB Drives together and get another 1TB drive..

Concatenating volumes is more of a risk than I would take, especially if they will be used in a production environment, ie. critical data.

Posts: 26 | From: Sydney, AU | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture