homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » Need a little bit of help...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need a little bit of help...
Maxillius
Newbie Larva
Member # 7853

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted April 08, 2007 12:29      Profile for Maxillius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I'm a self-professed Mac geek, but from reading these forums I decided to give Ubuntu Linux a go on my Windows PC. I figured, what the hay, it's got an unused 80 GB drive that Windows refuses to recognize but the BIOS knows is there, so I installed Ubuntu there.

It looks great, but there are some issues. The first of which is the fact that I can't for the life of me figure out how to install stuff!! I've been spoiled by Windows installers and Mac drag'n'drop. Which brings me to the 2nd issue: my display. It's topped off at 1024x768 and runs like there's no graphics card driver. Nvidia has a fix for it but I can't figure out how to install it!!!

Very frustrating!!

Posts: 9 | From: Lansing, MI, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 09:32      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Installations from Ubuntu are pretty easy, and there's actually two ways to do it. The simple installer is at the bottom of the main Applications menu (Add/Remove...). It lists programs that Ubuntu particularly recommends. The more in-depth version is the Synaptic package manager. It's under your System > Administration menu. There's a lot of information on this page. It's my preferred method.

As far as your graphics issue, I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I recommend searching the Ubuntu Wiki and the Ubuntu Forums. The odds are good that someone else has run up against the same problem, so do a few searches for your model of card and see what you can find. The forums saved my neck when I had issues with my swap partition, since a number of people had already posted the same problem.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 06:01      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second that advice. I use synaptic myself on Debian.

I also managed to install the nVidia binary driver module and see vastly improved performance in Google Earth and, er, PlanetPenguin Racer. [Big Grin]

So, you're on the right track if you want to improve your 3-D video performance.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 10, 2007 07:33      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I prefer Kubuntu over Ubuntu (GNOME is somewhat brain dead IMO), Synaptic is customizable enough to get the apps you need.
Make sure you are getting all the repositories, because Ubuntu won't let you download proprietary software (some codecs and drivers) by default.
Somewhere else you can find real-time help is the IRC channel.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 07:53      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is some homework that needs to be done to switch over. IMO to install on a Debian based system is hands down easier than both Windows and Mac installers.

Well, the Mac installers are pretty damn easy if they would use words instead of pictures. I mean come on, a program icon next to a folder... Jeebus.

But synaptic is pretty good too, at least on stock Debian. I do believe that K/X/Ubuntu has added a new style of graphical installer that is supposed to be simpler, but I haven't tried it so I couldn't offer any advice on it.

But the forums and wiki are the best places to go, along with Google. Remember that you can usually use a how-to for Debian, Mepis, K/X/Ubuntu, as well as a few others. So go with relatively broad searches.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 08:26      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
Though I prefer Kubuntu over Ubuntu (GNOME is somewhat brain dead IMO)

I actually rather like the feel of the KDE desktop as well. Unfortunately, I haven't had much success with getting it to work properly. I've tried multiple times, but Kubuntu has always been very unstable for me, while Ubuntu has been nearly trouble-free.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zoaky
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1840

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 14:05      Profile for Zoaky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trouble setting Ubuntu up?

Try Automatix

http://www.getautomatix.com/

http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installation

If only Linux was always this simple.

Posts: 11 | From: I.o.M | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture