homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » computer name/gender (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: computer name/gender
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2005 21:25      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dildo_bangings:
Is computer gender OS dependent or hardware dependent. human gender is determined at birth prior to any social influences like education. so i think that computer gender is hardware dependent,...

Well, some people think computers are like women:
- No one but their Creator can understand their logic.
- The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.
- Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for later retrieval.
- As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.
- You do the same thing for years, and then suddenly it's wrong.

But then again, computers are like men:
- In order to get their attention, you have to first turn them on.
- They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem.
- They store a lot of data but are still clueless.
- As soon as you commit to one, you realize if you had waited a little longer, you could have had a better model.
- They understand what you say, but not what you mean.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2005 01:26      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The UWM-CS department has a tradition of naming servers after beer. There is:
Miller, Pabst, Sprecher, Huber, etc.
The newest servers were originally named "SixPack" being six new computers ment to be used as a grid... They've since been renamed grid1 to grid6.

IEEE-CS named their computers after old rock groups and people:
Metalica, Crow, Billie (after Billie Ray Cyris -- i think), etc.

The Cluster I work for is named after a meterologist Tom Messner. The control node is Messner, and the compute nodes are tom1 to tom21.
The Grad student metorologist's workstation is Condella (named after another meterologist).

In the past, my family has named cars after dead composers -- but I've given thought to using the method on computers:
Ludwing, Wolfgang, etc.

I've been thinking that the next time I get a chance to set up a network, I'll name the computers after mythical places from fantcy/sci-fi:
Rivendale, Hogworts, FireSwamp, BogOfEternalStench, BagsEnd, Dagoba, Magrathea, etc.

Currently, I have three computers, and my mother has one.
My main computer: game-master
Mom's box: [insert Mama GM's first name here]
iBook: OleBessie
Thinkpad: BitchBox (though, it doesn't have a hostname besides localhost, as it's basically a over blowen calculator running FreeDOS)

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2005 06:15      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
And yes, I am a Tolkien fan.

I named the network monitoring box (which runs Cacti and Nagios) here Sauron. It is, of course, busy keeping an eye on things.

Another box runs NRPE so Nagios can see outside our firewall. It is called Palantir.

Our MS Exchange cluster is called Spotswood, after the third Deputy Postmaster of America under the British crown. We considered Franklin (after Benjamin Franklin), but Spotswood beats Franklin hands down in the User-asks-"You-want-me-to-type-what?" department.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2005 07:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evendir:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

My home network is characters from the matrix:

tank
dozer
trinity
apoch
switch
morpheus
etc

Doh, mine too. Right now I'm posting from Neo. Trinity is my trusty server. And Morpheus was my poor, dearly departed laptop.
My trinity was put out of commission some time ago. Neo is the Dual P3-500 with 1GB of RAM and RAID-0 SCSI 10k drives. Tank is the Dual P166MMX firewall. Dozer has the /home directory partitions, and mp3s and files in general.

The oracle is Amanda's Xandros box.

Switch is the laptop.

The windows box was just brought up two days ago, so I haven't named it yet. Probably cypher, cus cypher was a traitor.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
Geek
Member # 2724

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 28, 2005 12:51      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to name my computer Hal 9000!

-

Posts: 147 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
dajt
Mini Geek
Member # 627

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2005 13:58      Profile for dajt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My machines all have boring names like fc3, obsd37rel and fenlason-winxp. Heaven knows what I'll do if I ever have to have two machines running the same operating system. . .
Posts: 98 | From: Boston MA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2005 10:06      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just named two big Cisco switches wye and derwent. Wye and Derwent were members of the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company, so it seemed fitting to use those names since the bad luck's been worn off 'em, and now they're moving data packets instead of mail packets these days.
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2005 13:55      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My PowerMac is called Grigory, after Rasputin.

Why?

It's big, it never dies, and it's a slick sex machine.

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2005 16:30      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In honor of this post we decided to name our computers. So here goes.

My wifes 2 primary computers she wants named after "American Dad"

Mac Mini - Francine
AMD tower - Stan

Mobiles after "Family guy"

Powerbook 3200 - Stewie (It's my son's lol)
iBook - Lois
Compaq - Quagmire

Other desktops after "The Simpsons"

PPC 5400 - Homer (It doesn't like to work)
Spare parts tower - Lisa

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2005 19:16      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My trinity was put out of commission some time ago.

Well, I hope it died faster than the one in the movie. Longest ... death ...scene... ever.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stormtalon
Mini Geek
Member # 1163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2005 08:10      Profile for Stormtalon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
My trinity was put out of commission some time ago.

Well, I hope it died faster than the one in the movie. Longest ... death ...scene... ever.
You sure that doesn't go to Paul Reuben's character in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie?

On-topic, only computer I really have named was my much-altered Powermac 7300; I called it FrankenMac due to all of the things I did to it, including putting 3 internal HDs in it (one in the original slot, one in the Zip drive bay, and one in the floppy bay -- this of course leaves the poor thing floppy-less, plus the case don't fit too well now).

Right. Back to my regularly-scheduled lurking.

Stormtalon

--------------------
Those who are easily offended should be.
And often.

WoW: The Crazy Ones

Posts: 73 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
b-gurl
Mini Geek
Member # 4163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2005 13:32      Profile for b-gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm.... i named my computer derek. also i have named the computers i regularly use in college...

--------------------
B-Gurl. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Posts: 53 | From: uk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 12:28      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In soviet Russia, the computer name you.

--------------------
My Site

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 21:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Soviet Russia, the plurals singularize you!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2005 19:54      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Soviet Russia, the forums post you!

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arctuniol
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4174

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 06:47      Profile for Arctuniol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used southpark names for all my linux boxes at the office, and stayed pretty normal pdc and bdc for my windows garbage that I was forced into having.

Arctuniol

--------------------
In an open world who needs windows or gates?

Posts: 17 | From: Sillicon Valley | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pilgrim
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4176

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 09:24      Profile for Pilgrim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The names and genders of my computers depend on they fit with the machine. My now dead laptop was Ox because he was dependable and stable until that fishtank accident. And the old box I got from my ex is named Junky because he was found in a junkyard.

I have a tendency to personify computers. I think that may be because they annoy me less than people.

Ramen
Newbie Larva
Member # 4213

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2005 00:05      Profile for Ramen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got six working computers right now (most of them don't work very well, but I'm working on that- got them out of the trash, so, well, I have to be patient with them), and they don't really have gender, except for usually when I'm yelling at them (nitpicking over little problems makes them female, making the same dumb mistake over and over again makes them male), but my best is named One of Six, and you can probably guess what the others are called.

--------------------
defenestrate

v : throw through or out of the window; "The rebels stormed the palace and defenestrated the President"

Posts: 6 | From: Connecticut, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2005 00:22      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramen:
but my best is named One of Six, and you can probably guess what the others are called.

Crap 1, Crap 2, Crap 3, etc? [Razz]

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
cyber_junkie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3861

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2005 07:34      Profile for cyber_junkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My computers called bobo [Big Grin]

--------------------
"My crime is that of curiosity." -Mentor

Posts: 42 | From: India | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2005 09:02      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cyber_junkie:
My computers called bobo [Big Grin]

There are other things important to me I call Bobo, but this is neither the time nor the place.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
tubaboy24
Newbie Larva
Member # 5058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2006 18:50      Profile for tubaboy24   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My computer's name is WOPR. Wouldn't you rather play a nice game of chess or checkers? [Big Grin]

--------------------
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
African:38-40mph
European:24mph :D

Posts: 7 | From: The basement | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2006 19:19      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still want to set up a network where all the computer names are mythical places from fantasy.

Rivendale, Hogwarts, Atlantis, Shire, Camalot, Avalon, Valhala, etc. etc. etc.

Edit
I apparently already said that here. :/

--------------------
My Site

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2006 19:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to name my new Flash Drive "Bucket of squids" but apparently that's too long.

[Frown]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2006 20:49      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How 'bout "SquidBucket," Xanth? [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture