homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Love!   » I Love my Computer   » My Cobalt Qube2

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Cobalt Qube2
linuxpyro
Geek Larva
Member # 2530

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 17:02      Profile for linuxpyro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though this product has been discontinued, the Qube2, part of the Cobalt Microservers line (Sun recently bought Cobalt, and discontinued the line) has served me well for the 8 months or so I've had it. It looks cool, and runs smoothly. I use it as a gateway from my home network to the Internet via my cable modem, and to host Web and eMail. The version of Linux it runs is older, but still runs pretty smoothly. I've never actually had it crash, though I have had some problems with corrupted files here and there. And I have messed it up a bit from hacking it at times. But I just get out the OS restore CD and I'm back in business. [Smile] It has an extremely easy to use Web-based GUI (though it still helps to know about networking to use it), but you can telnet into it and get at the advanced stuff, like virtualhosting. I'm even in the process of getting a MySQL client running on it.

Here's a pic of it sitting on my information/technology shelf in my basement.

-

Posts: 29 | From: /home/ben | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
linuxpyro
Geek Larva
Member # 2530

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2004 16:17      Profile for linuxpyro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Bump*

-

Posts: 29 | From: /home/ben | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2004 07:20      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmmmm, Quuuuuube.... [Big Grin]

Have you seen the NetBSD restore cd ?

Some nice people have ported NetBSD to the Qube2 and given it shiney new kernels with support for things like 120Gb+ hard disks etc...

And an even nicer person (Dennis C) has created a one-stop cd a-la Cobalt restore CD to install NetBSD for you!!!

Warning though: not fot the Linux newbie! (Like me [Confused] )

Download from here:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/cobalt/restore-cd/1.6.1/image.iso.gz

--------------------
--
Yeah, what he said... but funnier.

Posts: 59 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture