homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » rain music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: rain music
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2009 08:41      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so it's a rainy day here and I am trying to think of some good dark rainy music, all genre.

I have:

Riders on the Storm, Doors
Kentucky Rain, Elvis
Ain't no Sunshine

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2009 09:15      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pinch Me - The Barenaked Ladies
Loser - 3 Doors Down
One Hand In My Pocket - Alanis Morrisette
Mr. Bojangles - BJ Thomas
Norwegian Wood - The Beatles
*Fixing A Hole - The Beatles
*No Rain - Blind Mellon
Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 - Bob Dylan ... hehe
Long December - Counting Crows
Waiting For the Sun - The Doors
Misery - Green Day
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly
California Dreamin - The Mamas and the Papas
*3 AM - Matchbox 20
The Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bridge Over Troubled Waters - Simon & Garfunkel
*Kathy's Song - Simon & Garfunkel

*denotes a song that specifically mentions rain

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2009 10:09      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err..

Rain* -- The Beatles

(* Basic template for just about every Oasis song -- you almost can hear Liam singing "in the sun-shee-yine..." )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 21, 2009 13:09      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold Back The Rain - Duran Duran
Here Comes The Rain Again - Eurythmics

I love synths [hearts]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2009 14:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
REM - I'll Take the Rain

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 21, 2009 14:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while trying to remember Rain by the Cult, I came across this..

http://www.lacarte.org/songs/rain/

In the Early Morning Rain (by Gordon Lightfood) ha ha. That should be Lightfoot!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2009 15:37      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's Buddy Holly's "Raining in My Heart" of course, but in a similar vein, I also like The Cascades "The Rhythm of the Rain"

Or maybe if it's damp dull and grey, why not pour yourself a glass of 100% pure musical sunshine. Play it loud and dance about looking foolish. Your cats won't mind.... much.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2009 18:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Singing in the rain" from the soundtrack to 'A Clockwork Orange'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2009 18:45      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, when I think of rainy days, I think of cuddling all day long with somebody special, and never leaving the bedroom, except for refreshments...and the music I like to hear is some good ole James Morrison..."Please don't stop the Rain"...one of my favs....sorry did not mean to thread jack...just thinking is all:)

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2009 21:26      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Have You Ever Seen Rain" - Creedence Clearwater Revival
"Who Will Stop The Rain" - Asia

Edit: My iTunes library also has...
"A Gentle Rain" - Amy Hayashi-Jones
"Red Rain" - Peter Gabriel
"Rhythm of the Rain" - The Cascades <-- Double-edit. Looks like Calli already mentioned this one.
"A Day Without Rain" - Enya
"Fool in the Rain" - Led Zeppelin
"Heavy Cloud No Rain" - Sting
"Watercolours in the Rain" - Roxette
"Coloured Rain" - Traffic

I'm too tired to keep going.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2009 22:43      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out Of The Rain - Clan Of Xymox
(No One) Not Even The Rain - The Charlatans
Southern Rain - Cowboy Junkies
The Sun & The Rainfall - Depeche Mode
It Can't Rain All the Time - Jane Siberry
The Rain Within Her Hands - Bella Morte
Happy When It Rains - The Jesus & Mary Chain
Nine Million Rainy Days - The Jesus & Mary Chain
Prayers For Rain - The Cure
Shadows In The Rain - The Police
So. Central Rain - R.E.M.
Rain - Tones On Tail
Mulu The Rain Forest - Thomas Dolby
Only Happy When It Rains - Garbage
Rain From Heaven - The Sisterhood
Don't Always Look At The Rain - Howard Jones
Drops, Rain, And Sea - Love Spirals Downwards
Ocean Rain - Echo & the Bunnymen
Raining Tears Of Blood - Chris & Cosey
Rainfall - Hungry Lucy

I'll stop there, I have even more!

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 22, 2009 08:24      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe everybody (including me) forgot Chocolate Rain by Tay Zonday (a.k.a. "the Chocolate Rain Kid").

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2009 08:39      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two by Vangelis: "Tears in rain" (from Blade Runner) and "Metallic rain" (a nice tune found on his "Direct" CD)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2009 11:24      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on people.......

what about It's Raining Men - The Weather Girls [Big Grin]

But I suppose that the original brief was "dark rainy music" so I will also suggest Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath.

....and also Black Rain by Mostly Autumn.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2009 09:41      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, how about "Love Reign O'er Me" by The Who?

--------------------
Ugh!

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 14:28      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Famous blue raincoat - Leonard Cohen
I can't stand the rain - Janis Joplin

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 20:07      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Thank You" - Dido
Or the Eminem'ed version, "Stan"

Apparently someone at Apple agrees with me on the Dido song -- it shows up in an iTunes Essentials list called... wait for it... Rainy Day Songs. (The direct link is http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewMix?id=306609112, but I think there is a JoT iTunes link around here somewhere that you should use if you buy anything.)

--------------------
Ugh!

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 20:43      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For dark music on a rainy day, nothing tops one of the first choices. "Riders on the Storm". When you look up "way out there" in the dictionary, you get Jim Morrison's picture next to the article.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 21:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh...iTunes is reminding of another one, sort of:
Paranoid Android !!

(With heavy chorus of 'rain down, rain down, come on rain down on me...')

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2009 14:58      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's Raining Again" by Supertramp!

--------------------
I still love my 17" PowerBook G4!

Posts: 56 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2009 17:32      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dreaming While You Sleep" by Genesis has a fleeting mention of rain

--------------------
Ugh!

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2009 18:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea why I associate some of these with rainy days. Probably the mood of the song.

From My Own True Love (Lost at Sea) - The Decemberists
The Bagman's Gambit - The Decemberists
Put Your Lights On - Santana and Everlast
Bad Moon Rising - Credence Clearwater Revival
Blood Roses - Tori Amos
Only Happy When it Rains - Garbage
Riders on the Storm - The Doors
Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles
Shimmer - Fuel
Everybody Hurts - REM
Drive - REM
Shanty for the Arethusea - The Decemberists

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2009 23:15      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three Decemberists tracks on a list of only twelve!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2009 14:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me takes a bow

My general crap-weather list is longer - those were just the ones that cover rain. I have others for snow and full conditions. Most of my weather-related selections are based on mood rather than the actual lyrics - the second song in The Tain (Decemberists again) perfectly conveys what it's like to wait out a storm on a big mountain, even though the lyrics have absolutely jackshit to do with weather. Even after I threw out everything not rainy, I had to put another squeeze on the selection because just about anything I associate with HS I also associate with rain, so I just picked songs that, on a balance, were more rainy than nostalgic (if that makes any sense). Growing up in Seattle does that to you. [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture