homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » A Linux song? *Calling all poets*

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Linux song? *Calling all poets*
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 25, 2007 13:16      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it's hard to figure out where ideas from. For instance, I had a sudden idea today; I think that someone needs to write a song for GNU/Linux.

I tried searching on google and I only found three things that were remotely close: 1) the old UNIX song to the tune of American Pie, 2) a youtube video of a commercial for Puppy Linux, and 3) a song called "Linux Can!" that is only an instrumental. I guess that means that we get to create one...

I'm not so great at writing lyrics, at least from scratch, but I'm pretty good at creating a melody to fit lyrics, and tweaking lyrics around a bit so they rhyme and flow. So what I need is some help with the lyrics. I want it to be educational, but fun, catchy, and easy to sing. The best lyrics (for this style, anyway) are the kind that you can guess ahead of time by listening for the rhyme. I'm kind of aiming for an American Folk style tune, like something you could sing around a campfire or something.

Here's some ideas for verses to maybe help get us started:
  • mentioning of different distros and what they're "good" at (i.e. Debian for servers, gentoo for compiling masochists, ubuntu for Windows converts, etc.)
  • a verse describing the background of the Linux kernel itself (i.e. a Finn named Linus.. wrote some code...)
  • the true and full "freeness" of GNU/Linux (i.e. beer vs. speech...)
  • a verse dismissing the myths of FUD
  • an invitation to try Linux, and how to get it

Hrm... this could be fun... thanks to everyone in advance for their help! [Big Grin] And, of course, everyone that helps gets credit for the song.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2007 15:35      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great idea. For some reason, I imagine it to be like this [youtube.com] in my head.

I don't think I know enough about Linux to help though.

EDIT: This looks like a useful resource: http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=deluxe&org1=syl&org2=l&typeofrhyme=perfect

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2007 17:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacManKrisK __________________________ What all do we know, the names and a few catch phrases. Ubuntu, Puppy, Damn Small, RedHat, Slax, Debian, Pocket Linux, AnonomuS and GNU, GPL SCO. There has got to be more. I know that there are more flavors out there.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 00:23      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There once was a linux geek from Nantucket...

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 18:33      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
a Finn named Linus.. wrote some code...

e i e i o!

And on his screen he had some C

e i e i o!

With a click click here and a tap tap there
here a hack, there a hack, everywhere a hack hack!

A Finn named Linus wrote some code
e i e i o!

(In all seriousness, I'll try to think of something).

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 18:48      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OY! At least you gave me a tune to work off of....

I'll try and come up with something to get everyone going... give me a few hours...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 19:04      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I have a really cheesy chorus (we're half-way to a folk song...)
code:
Key of A major (guitars can capo 2 and play G)
(Verse 1)
A D
Back in nineteen and ninety-one
A E7
There was a certain geek
A D
He wrote some code to pass the time
A E A
But his aims were pretty meek
A D
But now theres thousands 'round the world
A E7
that help improve his code
A D
They give their time and share their minds
A E A
Free software, they promote

(Chorus)
A7 D
Oh yes it's linux!
A
Yes, I said linux!
E7
The OS for hackers,
A A7
and for geeks.
D
Oh yes it's linux!
A
Yes, I said linux!
E7 A D A E7
The OS for you and me.

e2a: first verse... w00t!

I need some help with the last line of the verse.. it's weak..

I'm using a very simple rhyming scheme... The tune for the verse is almost a little /too/ close to John Denver's "Grandma's Feather Bed," but the structure (for the verses) are in classic Iambic Pentameter (think: anything that you can sing to the tune of Amazing Grace or The House of the Rising Sun).

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2007 15:02      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were making a Linux mix-tape I would include "Emerge" by Fischerspooner.

[crazy]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
joss
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 37332

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2011 11:36      Profile for joss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Guys!

I've found this thread and want to share my Linux song with you: It's Linux song page http://its-linux.co.cc/

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2011 16:50      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a pretty good song, joss. Also, welcome to GeekCulture. Also, we normally frown on necroposting here, but in this case I think we'll overlook it. [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

teknohog
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 39022

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2011 08:33      Profile for teknohog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I found this thread while googling for "Linux song", and I wanted to share this recent song.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture