homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Give me some topics!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Give me some topics!
Tiroth
Geek-in-Training
Member # 8543

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 16:34      Profile for Tiroth   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I am Tiroth. I want to try to write stories later in my life. I decided to turn to the geek community to help me develope my skills in writing for when I am going to start writing actual stories to try to get published. I would like if fellow geeks would give me topics that I could try to write short (fictional) stories about, then post them here. Don't be surprised if they are bad, because I am just starting. Thanks in advance.

-Tiroth

--------------------
Life is neither a good nor an evil; it is simply the place where good and evil exist.

-Seneca

Posts: 35 | From: Death Valley | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 17:07      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, just have one idea at the moment, and I'm using it. I plan on sharing the story once I have a draft of it put together, but it's mostly secret until then.

Welcome to the forums, I think you'll have lots of fun here.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 17:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one that I'm almost certain hasn't been written about:
The Goatse guy finds true love.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 07:03      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Here's one that I'm almost certain hasn't been written about:
The Goatse guy finds true love.

Lemme guess: it's Tubgirl, right?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 07:41      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what's your favorite genre to write? Fantasy? Horror? Science Fiction? Mystery? Erotica? Women's Literature? Parody?

Also, I pull from strange news and life experience.

Lastly, challenge yourself and do National Novel Writing Month this year. Even if you don't make 50,000 words, you'll get a feel for it.

I'd start with taking the summaries of Shakespeare plays and modernize. It worked for "West Side Story".

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 07:56      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are
some
for
you.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiroth
Geek-in-Training
Member # 8543

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 14:09      Profile for Tiroth   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Fantasy and Science fiction stories (the best kinds). [Big Grin]

--------------------
Life is neither a good nor an evil; it is simply the place where good and evil exist.

-Seneca

Posts: 35 | From: Death Valley | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 15:31      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, I thought this was a thread in search of the tasty chocolate bar with a "hazelnut in every bite" from my childhood that now seems sadly defunct! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 16:14      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well of COURSE your childhood is defunct, Serenak!! We're supposed to outgrow it, remember? [shake head] [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted May 26, 2007 10:07      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was walking the kids to school and I noticed a hole had opened up in the road. Nothing too dramatic, only big enough for a size 11 shoe . . BUT . . it seemed to go down for miles. I wonder if a volcano is going to erupt in Oxfordshire, now. Or if I've stumbled across the invasion portal for a race of underground mini-people who want to take over the world (starting in Oxfordshire, natch - you want to make sure you have the best bit first).

Feel free to fantasise about my hole in lucid and erudite prose . . .

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 05:18      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tiroth, there's probably a lot of inspiration just to be had in (some) of the conversations on the site. Next time you read a thread and go "hey, what if..." you could write a story about that.

There are some online writing workshops, too, where you can ask for feedback on a manuscript. Critters is specifically for scifi/fantasy/horror fiction, Zoetrope is more all encompassing. (Both of those are monetarily free but you have to participate by reviewing other manuscripts in order to be able to submit your own.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 06:34      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can build on this "possession" theme:

A guy gets possessed by a devil bird and he shows up to work naked waving his arms. Then he starts to squack and peck at his coworkers. The manager is a waif, so he doesn't take action, thinking it must be something cultural that he's not familiar with. Meanwhile, the secret S&M mistress starts falling for birdman. Later, the manager forms a committee to try to decide what to do about the possessed man. He suggests extreme caution because "people have been sued for stopping behavior like this." While this is going on, the man has perched atop a coworker's cube and taken a huge euric acid dump onto her keyboard. He looks down at her and squacks. The S&M mistress goes for her whip...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 22:13      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Damn, I thought this was a thread in search of the tasty chocolate bar with a "hazelnut in every bite" from my childhood that now seems sadly defunct! [Big Grin]

doesn't toblerone work too?

--------------------
"Liberate tutame exinferis."

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture