homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » MMORTS?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MMORTS?
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 14:04      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After doing a google search for MMORTS I was really disapointed. I think the technology for a real MMORTS is here and one could be made.

The ideal game for me would be that on the basis of Empire Earth. It's truly a great game. But instead of being played as a single player game or over the net with a couple people why not have an ongoing empire?

Some ideas I was thinking of for a game like this would be. First off the maps would have to be bigger then in normal RTS games to allow for more players on a map. Also each server would have to allow a set number of people. Also they should have different maps. Something like islands, continental, rivers and sea. Or something like that. So each player can pick the one they like best. And since getting a game over won't suit most players they would all have to have a set place they would have to have. Just a part of the map that is theirs. Something like room for a couple cities and some resources that can't be attacked.

Then computer controlled parts of the map. In these areas you can fight computer generated armies but not be able to take the land. That prevents people from having huge empires and so you can continue to keep playing without fear of being whiped out. But there also needs to be an option that players can got to war with each other. It would be kind of like a dual in MMORPG's but lasting a lot longer.

You would be able to get points by attacking computer armies with your army and then level up that way. And also make it so the areas controlled by the computer has the best resources so you would have to protect citizens with an army to get to them. Then make it so anything in the computer regions log out when you do but not the ones in your own country so you don't have people hogging resources. Then have a place on the map that you can bring an army and that is kind of like a "No mans land" Where the army you bring will automatically go into a PvP type mode and be able to battle it out with other armies.

Just a thought. Ever since I played Empire Earth for the fist time I thought it would be fun to have an empire on an ongoing game with other people playing.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 14:42      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds extremely cool - I would certainly help develop something like that.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 18:56      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a game called Savage that's somewhat like what you describe. A group of CS students at my old university planned out a game like that as well, but it fell through.

I'd help if I had the time, but I no longer do.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 20:31      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd help develop something like that. I'm not good at graphics program, but I could do server-side and client-side network programming.

I've always thought that an RTS controlled FPS would be the shizz. Have two editions of the game- the 'soldier' part, and the 'commander' part. Solders control any combat units produced by the base, unless there weren't enough and they'd be computer controlled. For example, if you were to do this with starcraft, a person would see a map they liked and sign in, and give a list of units they are willing (or capable; maybe you'd have to level up to control certain units?) to operate. For example, a guy would sign on and click 'marine', 'firebat', and 'ghost'. You could even go further and add air units, but I'm not sure how well that would work over the internet.

Now /that/ would be awesome.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 06:10      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how to make a game. I was board and had this idea and thought I would share. Maybe someone from Sierra posts on here and will enlist a smaller company to make something like this.

Just my random thoughts. I post a lot of random thoughts. Most that I should keep to myself lol.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 07:11      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There has been talk of an RTS-based FPS for years - it would totally rule.

I also am not much of a graphics person, but I've done RTS stuff in the past. Graphics guys are hard to get.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
AureliusBP
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 13622

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2008 13:24      Profile for AureliusBP         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will be my only post on this topic because I do not wish to be marked as a spammer.

First, I am the executive producer of a game called Beyond Protocol.

Second, the MMORTS genre is largely undefined and very disputed. Have a look at the wikipedia for MMORTS and then choose discussion if you don't think there is a ton of unknowns in the genre.

Third, I think an MMORTS is quite possible now. The most significant problem is the offline issue. Specifically, in an MMORPG, you can log off because you go into a house, dock at a spacestation, whatever. In an MMORTS, you cannot make a colony disappear or an army disband until you log in again.

As a learned bunch, what would you suggest is the solution to the offline problem? Perhaps the MMORTS is restricted by scenario to those where it makes sense to disband your forces until you log in again? But then some would argue that is an RTT.

Thoughts?

password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2008 17:46      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats a wonderful idea for a game and all, but what i think would be really cool is if it was an RTS where you would be able to send like 5 guys to go attack a building, and then you could let them autonomously attack the building, or you could go into a FPS style mode and be able to cycle between the troopers (like this one anti-terrorist FPS game i played) and take it that way, and while that was going on, you would be able to flip back to RTS mode and order an air strike on the building or bring in more troops. see?

--------------------
no my password is not username

Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 16, 2008 16:30      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AureliusBP:
This will be my only post on this topic because I do not wish to be marked as a spammer.

Don't be shy, Aurelius! If you have thoughts to share, ideas to air, or questions to... um... ask, let's hear them!

As long as you're participating in the discussion and not simply flogging product, you're probably safe from the "spammer" tag. (andymonk has been keeping his Ancient Sacred Geometry thread hot since June, and garlicguy has a link to his GarlicHead garlic sauce store in his .sig.) Nitrozac and Snaggy really aren't fascist about that sort of thing.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
AureliusBP
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 13622

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 17:41      Profile for AureliusBP         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate the invitation.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture