homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Let's Get Creative!   » Homemade Comic (Need Feedback)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Homemade Comic (Need Feedback)
Jonathan
Geek
Member # 2724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 12:13      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy There! I'm working on a comic called Spookshow. You can view the comic at http://horrortime.tripod.com/spookshowanarchy/
please give me some friggen feedback, or I shall vaporize you!

Posts: 147 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 18:38      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...please give me some friggen feedback, or I shall vaporize you!
Seek professional help.
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 19:23      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do I give him a zero star rating?
Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 22:51      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to work on your illustration, maybe collaborate with another to do the illustrating. Also, don't be so hasty to introduce characters and plots in every scene, remember comics introduce by showing, not telling. Just take it easy, develop the characters outside of the comic with doodles and little short stories, even small paragraphs involving dialogue or internal thought. You need to know your characters before you can expect them to just do whatever you want on paper.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2005 05:42      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is great that you are interested in feedback because it demonstrates that you are interested in improving. I think that people could provide you with better feedback if you gave more details about what you are looking for. Examples: Are you looking toward graphic arts as a career and you want very detailed feedback on illustration and layout? Is this a hobby and you want some brief remarks on basic improvements? What kind of look are you going for? Is there an artist whom you admire and want to imitate? Many comic artists seem to have started just like you-- composing elaborate stories in their teens. For a great read along these lines, check out "Epileptic" by David B.. It is an amazing piece of graphic non-fiction by a french artist that was recently translated into english. The story centers around David's relationship with his epileptic brother and traces his path into his current graphic arts career. Good luck with your work!
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
Geek
Member # 2724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2005 07:43      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, folks. I don't know how old you all are but I'm only 14, I am drawing every day. I hope I shall become a comic book illustrator in the future.
Posts: 147 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2005 12:55      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your age is easy to tell [Wink]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Seven
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2005 13:34      Profile for Seven   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you really want to become a professional artist, then there are some really basic things you need to do.

Never do handwritten lettering, only if you have a very tidy handwiriting, and if you do, use helplines to support the tidiness, the way you have done it most letters seem to have a wave. But it's always best to use computerlettering

Same thing for the coloration, it looks just way better with computer than with pencil. If you don't want to do it with computer, than try to use another technique, like copic markers, or water colors, because these have a more even looking finish.

Posts: 1 | From: Germany | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 05:39      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is nothing wrong with hand lettering in comics, when I was a lad nearly all comics were hand lettered - that was a skilled trade all of its own. However if you are unhappy with your hand lettering you could use computer generated lettering - but try looking for a font that goes with your drawing style - either a mock handwritten font or one that simulates the traditional handletterer's styles (One Stroke Script or Flash or at a push the dreaded Comic Sans, now you know where its name comes from...)

There is nothing wrong with pencil colouring either, generate your own style, the only rule is what you like and what works, (although ordinary felt tips are usually best avoided). You might like to experiment with some other materials like Pastel, or Conté Crayon but don't just copy what everyone else does..

I would try to lose the ballpoint pen though, at the very least get a nice fine black rollerball that will lay down a clean and black line for drawing and lettering.

If you are really interested in this sort of thing talk to your art tutor and they should help you.

Last of all enjoy doing it and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
Geek
Member # 2724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 11:49      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shall try another comic, since this one is such a failure. Maybe I'll do just like one page mini comics instead of long comic books; nevertheless, I'll have them posted soon. [Big Grin]
P.S.- Thanks for all the advice!

RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 11:57      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
There is nothing wrong with hand lettering in comics, when I was a lad nearly all comics were hand lettered - that was a skilled trade all of its own.

Those were the good ol' days. My old comics often had 3 or 4 creators: author, artist, inker, and letterer.

If you want to improve your lettering and layout, take a class in "mechanical drawing" and/or "drafting." Those classes teach you how to carefully lay out lines and how to letter like an architect. Your highschool might even offer them, otherwise check out a community college.

Another option is to sketch your art and then scan it into your computer and "ink" it and letter it. If you are on a mac with OS X, there is a program that I have had some fun with called "Comic Life." The program lets you take art and photos and lay them out in comic panes and add professional looking lettering.

Good luck with your art!

Jonathan
Geek
Member # 2724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 12:15      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't have a mac, but I could maybe try to ink and letter it with the classic program PAINT. And, I'll be a freshman next year and I hope I get visual arts as one of my classes.
Jonathan
Geek
Member # 2724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 12:26      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I found a page from a comic I did a few months ago. I replaced my writing with computer text. Check it out here.
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 14:27      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the style of this one better but the text in Times is not nice at all. Google for free fonts and try and download one that suits your style better.

I would avoid Paint if I were you, download a free DTP or vector drawing package like DrawPlus or Zoner Draw 3 or even RagTime Solo

There is plenty of good FREE software out there just go looking...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 17:36      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That one is looking better. I agree with Serenak that times is not an ideal font choice.

You can find some good comic fonts (including some free ones) at: blambot .

Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2005 06:19      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That one definitely looks much better, just be sure that you take a lot of drawing courses in school and maybe even join the art club. You may meet someone with similar interests that would like to collaborate with you on projects.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
Geek
Member # 2724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 06:51      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made another one called... Jimmy The Floppy Disc

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture