homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Review: H+BEDV AntiVir program

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Review: H+BEDV AntiVir program
satyr
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2005 19:06      Profile for satyr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My story with anti-virus programs goes like this. First I used EZ eTrust 6.1.7.0 a SHAREWARE anti-virus program from Computer Associates for quite some time, but later I discovered that this particular 6.1.7.0 version of EZ eTrust anti-virus program, and probably its driver-level protection was causing an annoying FILE_SYSTEM BSOD on every shutdown/reboot/logon/logoff. Of course, I first blamed other software and it has driven me to countless installations/un-installations, modifications, tests, reboots, etc., before I realised it was EZ eTrust's fault.

So I first switched to FREEWARE version of AVG 6, but it was just at the time of upgrading the program to version 7, and then I somehow didn't like this new AVG 7 version's interface. Therefore I switched once more and started using a Personal Edition of also FREEWARE program called AntiVir. It is more and more popular and trusted anti-virus program from H+BEDV company, located somewhere in Germany, Europe.

And here are the two most crucial things I soon noticed (beside that it's a totally non-conflicting program and light on resources) and now I just couldn't live without them.

1. The "Filters" feature, which enables you to exclude up-to 12 processes from real-time scanning/protection. I think that this one doesn't require further explanation on why it is useful.

2. The "Activate/Deactivate" feature through system-tray icon (compare to for instance un-checking all the protection features in AVG), I do that generally when I am off-line (quite often as a dial-up user), but especially before defragmenting my hard-disk, before software installations, driver-updates and all the similar "low-level" procedures.

I use it for more than half a year now, and I have no complaints at all. Infact I've never got any BSOD since running it and there were various "stressful" situations where I might have expected it. While its VDF files (virus definitions) are updated on almost daily-basis and the best thing is that other program files (like scan-engine library, shell-extension libraries and main-program files) are also updated/patched by this online procedure, so you don't need to download full package too often. AntiVir is simply the best anti-virus program for my personal needs.

greetings all, satyr

--------------------
Check out my personal computing-related website: http://tadej-ivan.50webs.com/ if you're interested in reading my articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules and such.

Posts: 31 | From: Ljubljana, Slovenia, Europe | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Will B
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4020

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 28, 2005 19:22      Profile for Will B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the review, satyr!

I too use AntiVir and have found it to be the best antivirus package yet, and AntiVir Personal is free! Can't beat that.

We've been using it here at home for about 1 1/2 years now, and it's never let bad stuff through. My only issue with it is the virus defs can usually only be upgraded in the late afternoon here on the west coast of the US. But other than that, I have recommended this package to my family and friends, although they appear to like the Symantec and McAfee treadmills.

angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2005 05:25      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anti-virus? What's that? [Razz]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2005 07:30      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angryjungman:
Anti-virus? What's that? [Razz]

I was wondering the same thing...maybe it's some type of multivitamin immune system booster? or more likely a condom? [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Will B
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4020

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 21:35      Profile for Will B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anti-virus? What's that?
Anti-virus: A sad necessity when working on my Win32 partition [Frown]
satyr
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2005 08:06      Profile for satyr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well guys, you're all right. True geeks don't need any anti-virus program, simply because we are to smart to get infected in the first place.

However, there was one case when running it might actually be worth. You see, I was infact infected with a Bagle.AF worm (with anti-virus program installed and running, but with its on-access protection/monitoring disabled), and certainly it was all because of me and my ignorance, and not because of the lack of knowledge or whatever. The thing is that I often examine viruses/trojans for export functions, and which libs they call etc. So this time, I right-clicked on one of the files containing trojan-horse (or worm) I got recently by mail (before moving them to my "collection of nasties" in the encrypted volume), but unfortunately this time, I was to quick clicking it, so I mistakenly chose "Open" instead of "View Dependancies" (to send it to the Dependancy Walker), or "Send To -- BinText", to send it to BinText Foundstone's program to see the file strings/contents.

But luckily I was running Sysinternals' Filemon and Regmon programs at that particular time, so I later simply reversed all the settings made by worm without any problem. I simply deleted the created run registry key, and deleted SYSXP.exe file that was created and executed as process after "infection" (and noticeably slowing the system), and few other related files. And even if I wouldn't ran those programs - there is a common pattern of few things that almost every malicious software does. In most cases, the file is executed and therefore visible running as a process, and second this process usually creates a registry entry under HKLM or HKCU, one of the Run subkeys.

P.S., If you want to, you can read more about my "principles" regarding all these "security" programs on my home-site, the security.html page or check out the thread on Winforums (my nick is also satyr there): Do we really need software updates?

cheers all, satyr

--------------------
Check out my personal computing-related website: http://tadej-ivan.50webs.com/ if you're interested in reading my articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules and such.

Posts: 31 | From: Ljubljana, Slovenia, Europe | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Will B
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4020

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2005 12:45      Profile for Will B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
angryjungman said:
Anti-virus? What's that?

satyr said:
Well guys, you're all right. True geeks don't need any anti-virus program, simply because we are to smart to get infected in the first place.

Well in my case, sometimes I'm not the only one who has access to our boxes. Because of the business my fiancee' and I are in, not only do we have to protect our Windows partitions and all of our files from bad stuff, but also databases with tons of doctor and patient information. In the States, there's such a thing as HIPAA regulations, and any type of compromise of any of our systems would be a big owie.

The thing is, we have a steady stream of family, friends and what-not who ask to use one or more of our machines for checking e-mail, doing a quick chat on IM or whatever, and sometimes I'm not always here to boot into Linux before they get their grubby hands on the computer, so this is why anti-virus and two levels of firewalling is necessary. We're hoping to set up a Linux-only machine or a Mac just for visitors, but space is an issue at the moment...

So, such is the situation. I wish I could do away completely with my Windows partitions, but until my favorite development environment comes out on Linux (should be soon) I'm stuck using Windows and AntiVir.

(BTW: My favorite IDE does not run in Wine).

And yes, darn it! I'm grumpy today!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture